Bridge to the Sun

had some fun, and worth it for the cash coming my way but Im bored mate...cant wait to get home, only got a netbook and a hifi so no real music stuff, and without that im just an unemployed 44 year old with a penchant for beer and football and thats just too British :D

you sound like you are getting things done, I really enjoyed the track and slightly different sounding from your other rock stuff

That's not too different from me, I've a penchant for wine and football....that's just too Italian!:D

Hey Joe, I love your voice man, and you've got such nice technique and control. Those first vocal lines around 00:53 where you start low and then jump up a huge interval and land on that higher note are so difficult, and you make it sound easy. That's seriously impressive!

Recording-wise, there are a couple of things that jumped out at me. The intro guitar part, where it's clean with a relatively clean lead part going on is really cool, but the lead part sounds like it's too hot to me...it seems like it's clipping just a tad, especially right at the 00:27 and 00:41 marks. Are you hearing that too? It's a percussive picking technique, so it might just take some serious compression or maybe even waveform editing to tame those attacks.

The drums are nicely programmed, but man, real drums would be so nice. Are you guys planning to work with a real drummer? There are a couple of drums parts that really stood out to me - the cymbals at 00:14 - 00:15 were strange to my ears, and the drum roll fill leading into the full band coming in at 01:18 wasn't smooth - I'm guessing that's probably a difficult type of fill to get right with programmed drums, although I've never tried, so maybe I should shut the hell up :D

Regarding the song - I think it's a killer tune. In the chorus section, the musical change where you are singing "and all this fear and hatred will be gone" is beautiful...that's like a goosebumps section of the song for me. It just opens up and fits that vocal line incredibly well...that part was awesome. I hope this doesn't offend you, but I have an arrangement suggestion for you: in the third line of the chorus where you sing "what if we start all over again", in my head i was wanting to hear your lead vocal line go higher, actually up to where the harmonies are, in order to keep that part evolving and provide some additional interest and power there. Especially considering how powerful that very next line is with the musical change, I think it would be such a cool modification. I hope that's not too presumptuous of me...

I love the song man, and congrats on the new band!

Best,

Dave
davedewhitt's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Hey Dave, those are really great suggestions, man.
And no I'm not offended at all....
In fact I'm thinking of programming the drums again, probably with my new drummer helping me out. It is possible to get that roll in the beginning clean, I just have to do it better. Unfortunately I can't record real drums.
Thanx for the help and the compliments!

I think this is great. Your voice, as everyone has already mentioned, is awesome. For programmed drums, I think they're pretty impressive. I don;t think they're bad at all. This is a great, powerful tune.

Great job, Joey.

I think this is great. Your voice, as everyone has already mentioned, is awesome. For programmed drums, I think they're pretty impressive. I don;t think they're bad at all. This is a great, powerful tune.

Great job, Joey.

Thanx Rami, really appreciate it!

Whoa man! I love that breakdown a-la Accept and then the smokin' lead! That got me excited :eek::D. Great song Joe! You better You Tube that band of yours so we can see the carnage for ourselves ;):):D:cool:

Whoa man! I love that breakdown a-la Accept and then the smokin' lead! That got me excited :eek::D. Great song Joe! You better You Tube that band of yours so we can see the carnage for ourselves ;):):D:cool:

Thanx Brad!
Guess someone will have to use his i-phone next time we have a gig.....;):D

Just thought I would comment and tell you that I like it. I like the hell out of your music Joey. Keep up the good work dude. Good luck with the band.

Plenty of critiques already...so I just wanted to say YEA! You know when you're listening to an aggressive track and it wrinkles up your face like you're mad...it did that! (that's a good thing btw haha)

Beautiful mix. I would agree with the others about the bass. I boosted 100Hz by 6db Q0.8 and then took the range wall to wall and it sounds awesome

Nice job

Plenty of critiques already...so I just wanted to say YEA! You know when you're listening to an aggressive track and it wrinkles up your face like you're mad...it did that! (that's a good thing btw haha)

Thanx Dionna!
I hope the wrinkles it caused on your face were only temporary....;):D

Beautiful mix. I would agree with the others about the bass. I boosted 100Hz by 6db Q0.8 and then took the range wall to wall and it sounds awesome

Nice job

Thanx GL!
I'm working on a new mix now and am boosting the bass, hope to have it here in the next coupla days. :)

Its an excellent piece of work J, love the drums. I have to mention the presence of distortion on what sounds like it should be a clean guitar in the intro...

Great guitarwork and vocals, love the song

Its an excellent piece of work J, love the drums. I have to mention the presence of distortion on what sounds like it should be a clean guitar in the intro...

Great guitarwork and vocals, love the song

Damn, I didn't hear that, gotta check it again....:(
Could be due to "mastering" artifacts. Thanx for checking it out GL.

Nice work! I like the intro, sounds great!

Congrats on getting a band together, that's always an exciting time!

Damn, I didn't hear that, gotta check it again....:(
Could be due to "mastering" artifacts. Thanx for checking it out GL.

I checked out the waveform closeup and saw the distorted peaks here and there so I guessed it was unintentional.

Otherwise its excellent work!!

Back