brick or plasterboard and what about the ceiling????

chippyd

this is the plan, all the outside wall (the square) are brick and are attached to industrial work units.

http://www.chippyd.com/dw/Image5.gif

as for the inside studio walls should I use brick or stud and plasterboard?

Is using brick or block any better in isolating sound than stud would be? I want to stop sound from getting in as well as not getting out of the studio.

I am thinking of a room within a room and if I used stud instead of brick will it be strong enough to hold a ceiling?

the objective is to finish the plan and then cost up all the materials needed. I hope this will not take more than five years to save up all the money needed.

what sort of isolation would I get from using Medium density or Aerated blocks as opposed to twin stud walls with an air gap.

also if anyone can give me any info on the ceiling of the studio, how to support it safely I would be really very grateful.

Chippyd :)

If your exterior brick walls are well sealed these should provide pretty good isolation. Coupled with a timber framed wall inside with an air gap in between you should get very good isolation.

How tall is the ceiling you want to construct? In any case, timber framed walls are capable of supporting a standard ceiling with a well designed truss system. There are companies in the U.S. who pre-manufacturer roof trusses; probably comparable places in Europe. Your walls supporting the ceiling will be load bearing so there are some standard construction methods you'll need to follow. Get yourself a basic framing book and/or check local building codes--these will tell you what you need to do.

Alex

Have a look here:
http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/pages/STC Chart.htm
for STC ratings on various wall sections.

There's a BIG difference between brick and block. Try not to use the terms inter-changeably. :)

Brick is almost always used for looks and low maintenance. It has little to no load bearing capabilities at all when used on the exterior of a building. The stud framing is what actually supports the structure.

Block does have load bearing capabilities, but usually only in compression, not in shear.

Stud wall framing has excellent load bearing capabilities in tension, compression and if crossed braced and sheathed properly, has very good load bearing capabilities in shear as well. When it's capped and roofed with trusses, the whole structure becomes a rigid unit which greatly enhances the shear bearing.

To support a ceiling properly, you should have a structural engineer design trusses that can be pre-fabricated. Most companies that provide pre-fab trusses will design them for you if you just give them the pitch and the span.

I just had a set designed for me that will span 29'-1" with no internal support. So, fairly long spans are not difficult or uncommon.

Last edited:
Back