Brent Casey en la casa

Brent Casey

Just add water and stir!
Howdy pardners,
I am officially up and running here at the subterranean PMI Audio complex situated at the base of Palos Verdes in lovely Southern California. Since my schedule has been pretty crazy in the time between leaving Marshall MXL and coming to PMI, I haven't really had a chance to log on, but things are set up fairly well here now...the calender is hung just right on the wall, etc...so, I'm dropping y'all a line to say hello. If I can be of assistance in any way pertaining to audio - or microphones - the universe - writing that last elusive verse...righting the universe?
Riding a unicycle while reciting verse: let me know.
Anyway, I'll be surfing around here at the Homerecording BBS when I'm not working on mics in the atomic PMI product laboratory, or in the lavatory (here we go again), so expect me to jump on a conversation or two in the future.

Sincerely,

Brent Casey,
PMI Audio
Torrance, Ca.

Welcome, Brent!

So many of us are so happy with Marshall's 603S, I wonder if you'll be working on a small-diaphram condenser for Studio Projects.

Also, any more tube mics on your horizon? Or, anything at all you can say about what cool products are in your head - or your plan?

Thanks for the replies,

Fab

Hey, Brent,

Good to see ya on the board.

Now before you go any further, can you clear up some things about the MXL/Mars numbering system?

Which mics are the same and what's your personal feelings about the different mics?

How's that for putting you on the spot?

Hey, the poor guy has to work you know!!!

Now Chris...I had a mom, so don't go asking Brent to be my Mom!!! :eek: :eek: :D

Seriously, welcome Brent, maybe you and I can get in a heated battle just to fuel these local guys on HR....:D:D:D:

Glad your here, and remember, Brent is on as one of the Moderators at our RO forum as well.

Have fun Brent, I know these guys have been waiting for you.....

Alan Hyatt

Welcome to the board, and good to see you all guys. Keep teaching me. As a pay for all the knowledge, I'll invite you to an 'asado' whenever any of you visit Buenos Aires. Cheers, Andrés

I have a question , I bought a mxl603s recently, and with it I recived a mxl 2001p for free. and I was wondering what that mic was designed for?

cordura21 said:
Welcome to the board, and good to see you all guys. Keep teaching me. As a pay for all the knowledge, I'll invite you to an 'asado' whenever any of you visit Buenos Aires. Cheers, Andrés

Puez empiesa a poner el vacio en la parilla amigo. ;)

I have this grape juice stain on my favorite shirt, and I was wondering what brand of stain-fighting detergent you might recommend, and do you think I should set it on hot, warm, or cold? Knits or Permpress?

Thanks a bunch!

Oh, by the way, what level of involvement did you have in designing the mxl 603? Because if it was significant, then I'd like to kiss your feet. That mic is a god-send. Thanks!

Chessrock,
Ironically, I was just having this same conversation with a couple of associates as we were gathered around the pentagram deep in the woods the other night. Definitely cold water and I would recommend an enzyme-based stain fighting stick as a pretreatment. Personally, I use grape juice to get club soda stains out of purple fabrics.

As for the 603, it is an adaptation of the MXL600 which is a nod to an East German design that is a take-off of a West German design. The difference is mostly in the capsule. I only aided in selecting the actual diaphragm material, the grill material and determined a suitable spacing between the backplate and diaphragm as there were some related handling noise issues early on. Most of the design elements which I recommended for the MXL603 were not actually implemented in the production versions of the mic due to cost and manufacturing limitations. Overall, I would say you're going to be kissing some crusty old Chinese and German feet.

Enjoy,

Brent Casey

chessrock said:
I have this grape juice stain on my favorite shirt, and I was wondering what brand of stain-fighting detergent you might recommend, and do you think I should set it on hot, warm, or cold? Knits or Permpress?

Thanks a bunch!

Oh, by the way, what level of involvement did you have in designing the mxl 603? Because if it was significant, then I'd like to kiss your feet. That mic is a god-send. Thanks!

Hey Brent, can I call you Brent?:) Welcome aboard to the board. Ha, others can make cool puns. I hope you don't have to get pissed off and leave and then come back. Maybe people will play nice. Anyway, whats up with the MXL1000s? Are they the same as the 603s? In harveys big Marshall mic review, he said that they sounded the same to him. I got them, (the 1000s) and I love them, but I was just wondering....

Welcome Brent!

I appreciate the work you put in on the MXL line. I have a few of them around the house here. Looking forward to keeping up with your work with PMI over at "that other place." (BBS)

I am happy you are getting continuing good use from the 603's.
And yes, I am definitely designing some small diaphragm mics for Studio Projects.
There are tube mics on the horizon as well.
As for cool products, I favor modular design, stereo & soundfield miking hardware and techniques, both solid state and tube circuitry and form following function. My evil plan is to take these details and craft them into Quality designs that many many people including myself will value highly and find to be very useful due to inherently favorable sonic characteristics and durability. Also, if it looks really f**king cool on a mic stand during a session, you won't hear me complaining, no? Can't allow that important design element to go unmentioned. <g>

Viva la Fab4
Brent Casey

Fab4ever said:
Welcome, Brent!

So many of us are so happy with Marshall's 603S, I wonder if you'll be working on a small-diaphram condenser for Studio Projects.

Also, any more tube mics on your horizon? Or, anything at all you can say about what cool products are in your head - or your plan?

Thanks for the replies,

Fab

darrin,
The MXL2001 was designed for the purpose of converting acoustical energy into electrical energy.

-Brent Casey

darrin_h2000 said:
I have a question , I bought a mxl603s recently, and with it I recived a mxl 2001p for free. and I was wondering what that mic was designed for?

Brent, "pin-ups" on the microphones would give us something
worth looking at. Similar idea to "Auto Buff" magazine.

Chris

Welcome, dude....don't believe nothin' Alan says about me.....

and don't let these guys rag you about the 2001...the rest of the MXL line MORE than made up for that, which, by the way darrin, is AWESOME for mic'ing farts.....

Back