Breathless

Doug H

I'll be there
Space cheese alert

This was the tune I was hoping to submit for the CD but time is winning the race. Tha's ok, give's me some time to learn how to track.

There's a "da da da hmmm hmmm" line where a haven't wrote the lyric yet (followed by a line that I'm rewriting) and a bit of dodgy guitar playing, but It's pretty much the sound I'm after and I'm interested in hearing any feedback.

I compressed the vocals to a rediculous degree, which is something I think I'm going to do for a while even if it colours the sound.

Breathless

Doug

Man, I really like your guitar tone. I've said it before I think. I dig your style mostly. Your music deserves better drum tracks.

Vocals aren't doing much for me.

Love the guitars!

Van Halen's Aint Talkin Bout Love , REALLY SLOW! :) Think about that one for a sec, you'll see what I mean.

Didn't pull me in, sounded repetitive. Guitars slightly sloppy. I LIKED the vocals, could be louder. L8r...

Hey, I like interstellar fromage!

Okay, first the positives. Love the vocal style, very Gilmour-ish. I like it enough that I, like homeuser, would like to be able to hear it better. I don't know enough yet about effects processing and recording in general, but the compression of the vocal doesn't seem to be a problem.

The guitar tone in the closing lead break is nice. Again I was reminded just a little bit of Gilmour, in a pleasant way. And the opening rhythm guitar I liked, too, along with the tone you got for the bass.

But I didn't care for the guitar that starts in at about the :35 mark. Not the sound itself, I guess, so much as the fact that it just seems overbearing, kind of like it comes in stomping all over the other tracks. Maybe it's simply a level thing.

And I will agree that the drums are maybe just not quite there sonically. They just sound a little boxy, for lack of a better word.

I'll be interested to hear where you take this, especially if the vocals are more forward in the mix. Good luck!

reminds me of some vintage "Robin Trower" ...and i love this style. Can't wait to hear this when you get the polish on it!

erichenryus
Thanks alot. Drums are quickly becoming my next thing to focus on.

homeuser
I hadn't heard that before but I see what you mean. Thanks for checking it out.

beaverbiscuit (cool handle)
Thanks, I was fairly happy with the guitar tones on this, the main rythm guitar tone I'm not completely sold on. It's encouraging to hear vocal comments like that, I'm not much of a singer and my mic tequenique sucks, hence the compression.
I'm not thrilled with the entrance the rythm guitar makes either, although I like the level throughout the rest of the tune. I've thought about fading it in which would probably sound pretty cheesy, or making a bigger deal about the song kicking in.

freshears
Just missed your post.

:) , thanks for listening.
I'm not familiar with Robin Trower, I'll have to check him out.

Warning: Can't connect to MySQL server on '142.179.159.60' (113) in /home/sites/site1/web/artists/album.php on line 8

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on '142.179.159.60' (113) in /home/sites/site1/web/artists/album.php on line 8
Could not connect to server

Doug H said:
beaverbiscuit (cool handle)
Thanks — I enjoy it myself! :D
Thanks, I was fairly happy with the guitar tones on this, the main rythm guitar tone I'm not completely sold on. It's encouraging to hear vocal comments like that, I'm not much of a singer and my mic tequenique sucks, hence the compression.
I'm not thrilled with the entrance the rythm guitar makes either, although I like the level throughout the rest of the tune. I've thought about fading it in which would probably sound pretty cheesy, or making a bigger deal about the song kicking in.
I think fading the rhythm guitar in might be pretty cool, either from the track itself or use a volume swell from the guitar itself. Give it a shot and see what develops!

I really can't add anything to what "Beaverbiscuit" said in his first post. I agree with him/her completely - on all points.

BPOCO

bpoco said:
I really can't add anything to what "Beaverbiscuit" said in his first post. I agree with him/her completely - on all points.

BPOCO
Thanks for the kind words, bpoco. I try to stay non-technical since I haven't posted my own tunes yet and am still working on figuring out how to really use my gear, but I guess anyone can at least note what was pleasing to the ear.

BTW, it's "him." If you scratch your monitor screen and sniff it, the manly aroma of Drakkar Noir is faintly noticeable. :p

I'm with erichenryus here...you have a pretty dirty sound guitarwise (which is good :D ) and the clean sound of the drums don't fit....

BPOCO
I'll assume both the good and bad, so thanks, and I'm working on it :)

Pedullist
I've been working on the drum track a lot, and experimenting with some different samples. It's good to hear positive feedback on the guitar tones. Thanks for listening.

Hey Doug,
At first the stereo spread kinda struck me as too spread out. ...but with the vibe you appear to be going for maybe that's a good thing..... not sure. Im gonna have to listen to more of your stuff to figure that out. Youve already heard about the drums... I like the way that you recorded your vocs. The tone is real nice. ...you seem to be going for that real live uncompressed sound and that works for this type of tune...but, I do think a touch of compression would make it sit better. Your vocal seems to swim in and out of key a bit too much imo.... but again vibe?
Nice work Doug, I'm looking forward to more
g

Guernica
Cool, thanks a alot.

I've noticed a lot of pitch swimming as well, and hate it. It sounds like fighting cats on my computer desktop speakers.

The mix is supposed to be mostly panned centerish except for the melodic guitar part whcih opens up the stereo field when it comes in for accents, or that was the thinking anyhow. I think I've got the main rythm guitar still sitting to far out on the left.

the main riff reminds me of a Black Sabbath tune! :)

I agree with the previous comments about maybe some compression would help.. I like the guitars!! Like your other tune, you have a loose feel with the rhythm that works well.. I like the tune!! You deserve better drum sounds.. I thought the guitar was too loud and left at first, but I eased into it fast.. Vocals are too low in most spots though..

B SABBATH
"the main riff reminds me of a Black Sabbath tune!"
'we sail...through endless skies...'

Man, I compressed the living hell out of the vocals already, which is going to be my new thing for a while. Guess I beter crank the levels some more.

"I like the tune!! "
:)...:)

" thought the guitar was too loud and left at first, but I eased into it fast"
I'm still struggling with these mix issues so I appreciate the feedback, thanks

Back