"Breathe" - Mystic feat Farisha (DnB) how is that bass?

MysticNetherlan

To master the right amount of bass, sub-bass and punch is difficult. I think I'm getting there but I might be wrong. Please let me know what you guys think of the mix, thanks!

Oh, the shattering disillusionment when the next day your topic is *not* flooded with posts stating how great your mix is :D And I was just about to give up my day job! ;) Anyway, is there anyone out there who digs the genre and can provide some constructive criticism?

Is the bass present enough?

What about the levels of the various tracks?

Is the percussion punchy enough?

Oh well...

TBH - the drums sound really cheap lo-fi. They are subtracting from the fabulous voice and those great synths. Love the eq'ing - very pro sounding. The bass could come up a bit.

The voice was nice (did I hear autotune?). So, bass sounded thumping (good thumping), you might want to make sure there is not a frequency doing something funky (since I don' really work this genre, hard to say if I am right, so you might want to compare with another song of the same type).

I thought everything fit about right except for the vocals and the bass. Bass was trouncing the vocals. I was thinking maybe ducking the bass with the vocals or you could manually fade it as required. I am not a fan of female vocals, but on this type of music, I actually prefer them. Must be the high countering the low that I like. Overall, it sounds as good as what I heard out there (I just know a little about this style).

About quitting your day job, I wouldn't recommend that to any musician unless starving and being poor is your objective. ;)

Thanks for the comments guys. Yep there is definitely quite a bit of pitch correction going on (not that she'd need it, but it suits the style). I'll try to create a bit less lo-fi and cheap sounding snare next time. Thanks!!

And you're totally right about the bass and the vox, can't believe my ears sort of missed that!

Really, unless you have someone else, this why this is a good place to come to, just to get fresh ears on it. After about 10+ hours of mixing, the obvious becomes not so obvious and that is if you are not composing the song, then it is worse. ;)

During the first minute of the song I think the low end might be just a small bit too strong. Not by much tho. And after the first minute, the low end clears up considerably. Personal preference thing - but I tend to like a little more woof in a kick sound.

I thought Autotune was used effectively. But it's kind of a dated sound now.

Other than that, I thought it was real good.

Back