Brauner Phantom C

paddyponchero

Hi,

Decided to treat myself to a decent mic, is $1500 a ridiculous amount to pay for a cardioid only mic (my girlfriend wants you to say yes :))

Anyone got experience with these? Will it hold its value like the neumanns?

Thanks

Paddy

While I haven't had personal experience with the Phantom C, I do own a VM1 KHE and 2 Valvet BEs. They are, IMO, better designed, better built and better sounding than the (modern) top of the line Neumanns I have. As to holding value; only time will tell - but many highly repected AEs & producers consider the Brauners to be the new standard in great microphones.
Only you can say if it's worth it to you, but if you buy from a dealer like Atlas or Mercenary, you can put it through its paces in your own set-up for weeks, and if you're not 100% happy, they'll refund your money, or send you something else to try (Soundelux, Gefell...).

Scott

DigitMus said:
While I do own a VM1 KHE and 2 Valvet BEs.
:eek:
:drool:

Thanks for the reply, that valvet is very appealing, but costs more than my car

Looking at atlas you can rent them:
Brauner Phantom C, $30
Brauner Valvet BE, $60

Here in Ireland you'd pay more to rent a C414! It's all akgs, neumanns and the odd DPA/B&K here. My only hope of a Brauner, Geffell or Soundelux demo is to catch a cheap flight to the UK, France or Germany.

I was also looking at MBHO MBC-608 which I can get a bit cheaper (damn its ugly - MBHO may have made the capsules for the VM but they definitely didn't design it)

I wouldn't count on any audio equipment holding it's value. Just buy what you want and use it, make lots of music with it, then if it holds it's value wonderful if not who cares you made music and that's what counts

I agreed to the second post. Brauner mics are of best quality. The capsules mostly stem from the german manufacturer Haun who has strong knowledge in capsule creating. He had been with Schoeps, the No 1 Company in recording mics. I own a Brauner V myself and found it amazing. But note: The most of the tuby mics and large diaphragm mics are distorting sound in order to make it more interesting thus moving away from natural and clean sound. This is useful for modern vocal recording mainly.

For classical recording, I usually work with old Neuamnn Mics like 193 and 103. Modern Neumann Micros are not the Top Level anymore IMHO. They somehow got stuck there. The Sister Company Gefell seems to be more progressive at the moment.

Back