Brass Band Recording

gbacklin

I had the pleasure of recording a 28 piece brass band a few weeks ago. The location was the Memorial Opera House in Valparaiso, Indiana.

opera.jpg

It was built in 1893 as a Civil War veterans memorial and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Please enjoy.

Take Care,
Gene

Please enjoy.

I did!

Band sounds pretty good, recording first-rate, even the arrangement is pretty good.

I love the old midwest opera houses. For several years I did a Mozart festival at the Woodstock Opera house in IL, looks a lot like the one in your picture. It was where Groundhog Day was filmed, when Bill Murray jumps he jumps off of the opera house.

Nice stuff, nice to hear people actually playing in a hall for a change.

Not what I normally listen to, but man, you got a good sound out of this. Everything is just so clean. How many mic's did you use? This is pretty impressive. Overall sound quality is very good. I could never imagine trying to do this. Very nice.
Ed

Based on your obvious talent in this field (Awesome quality!)... Any QUICK (I don't wanna feloniously threadjack) tips on home-recording a single trumpet using the following:

Rode NT1000
Rode NT1A
Behringrer Measurement Mic (I'm convinced I can find a creative use for this)...
Various dynamic mics...

I read something one time about having the player's back to a brick wall... Thoughts?

Also.. Did you use tube pres on this recording?

Thank you for your kind words.

Recording brass the concern is if too close you lose the balance of the group as a whole, yet too far everything gets washed out.

The setup for this concert was as follows:

Percussion sounds on left behind the brass
Drum set on right behind the brass

Brass in two groups centered to the conductor in an upside down U. An outer group and an inner group

I used ORTF about 15 ft up and 20 feet back from the conductor

The mic setup was actually in the center aisle of the first row. I was concerned about it being knocked over, because it was a very busy intersection :eek: So I used my Studio Projects C1's, just in case they did come tumbling down. I ran them into my Mackie Onyx 1640.

The performing area extended further than normal to the audience because they had an extension to the stage for the conductor to stand on. This took up the whole front section that you see in the picture being empty. That is why the mic setup was so close to the audience.

Thank you once again for listening.

Take Care,
Gene

Back