Brand spankin new member with a brand new old tune...

youwantmybass

Hey all,
I've been poking around this site for quite some time while working on my home recordings and I now believe I am in a stable enough emotional state to get torn down...haha just joking around. Well I'll give you a little background on myself before we get to the tune. I am a high school senior who started getting sersiously interested in recording and pro tools and the music business about a year. Thanks to the lack of true work I'm doing in classes, I devote much of my time to my Independent study for music production/music industry/sound recording, etc. Which is an english course that gives me the freedom to do what I want, just so long as I am dedicated. I am a musician at heart- a bass player (both electric and upright) in a hard rock band and my HS's jazz band. Anyways, I know this is not the place for my autobiography, but basically here's the deal- I record music and get credit for it in school. And here is my first major recording project that I've been working on for a bit.
The song is Shotgun as performed on the soundtrack Standing in the Shadows of Motown. Please keep in mind all of this was recorded at my house through a Dell PC and Mbox, MXL + sm57 microphones, using local high school talent and my limited, but growing knowledge of recording and Pro tools.

Glenn's INDIE page
Just go to multimedia and at the bottom of the page you'll find Shotgun.

Thanks all,

Glenn

I like it!

The horn sounds great! What did you use on it? the SM57?
The female vocals are great, but a little too in my face at some parts.
However, that is 100times better than anything I've record it yet.

hoorah!
Thanks for the praise.

just a little more info
Vocals- friend of mine, recorded with mxl 990(large diaphragm) about 12 takes what you hear is a comp track
Sax- coltrane lover/jazzer friend who i had to coach to play more bluesy and melodic- SM57 into bell, opening solo is a transcription
bass- yours truly, direct, Cort action bass with foam ala James Jamerson recorded to LR baggs DI to Mbox with compression and eq, cut 300htz boost 80 htz
drums- recorded with mxl 990 and mxl991 nothing else, lots of editing between takes considering i had to make due with a drummer im not friends with...oh well
guitar- friend/bandmate, hard rock fiend-"That was the most laid back/conservative I've ever played" les paul thru marshall jcm2000 w/ 4x12 stack- classic motown setup eh? it works...

keep the suggestions coming...

Glenn

Back