brand NEW to Reel to Reel

wp001

i just bought a AKAI 4000DS reel to reel. not really relivant to my question but. what does it mean to have a spiced reel or unspiced? and on it it has a switch which has
1-4
stereo
2-3

Attachments

• Akai_front_ezr.jpg
    Akai_front_ezr.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 62
wp001 said:
i just bought a AKAI 4000DS reel to reel. not really relivant to my question but. what does it mean to have a spiced reel or unspiced? and on it it has a switch which has
1-4
stereo
2-3

Spiced reels probably run with a HOT bias. Unspiced reels are milder.

Are you sure it doesn't say "Spliced Reels"?

Knowing eBay, the seller likely did sell and list "spiced" reels.

A spliced reel has been cut up and reconnected for editing purposes. For instance, someone wants to take out an extra chorus from a song. That person could edit the reel, and literally cut out that extra chorus, and reconnect the tape (by actually taping it, not recording it), so that he or she can rearrange the song.

An unspliced reel hasn't been cut up in this manner. You really shouldn't record over a spliced reel.

-MD

wp001 said:
1-4
stereo
2-3

Sweet, how does it sound? Similar to one I have; mine is pretty old but records great. ;)

themaddog said:
Knowing eBay, the seller likely did sell and list "spiced" reels.

A spliced reel has been cut up and reconnected for editing purposes. For instance, someone wants to take out an extra chorus from a song. That person could edit the reel, and literally cut out that extra chorus, and reconnect the tape (by actually taping it, not recording it), so that he or she can rearrange the song.

An unspliced reel hasn't been cut up in this manner. You really shouldn't record over a spliced reel.

-MD

i didnt buy it off ebay i bought it at a garage sale for $20 including the stack of reels. he used to own a studio in the 60s and 70s so there wasa ton of vintage gear for sale.

Back