Brand new to recording - poor quality audio

charlie_godsend

I'm brand new to home recording. I make simple tutorial videos with voice over. I've been using a cheap microphone plugged into the small jack on my laptop. The recording is ok - but I really want something better.

I bought a Neewer-800 with a 48 volt phantom power pack. I plugged it into my laptop and made some recordings. The result is just marginally better than the cheap microphone I was using. In fact, I might even say there is very little difference in the recording.

I was so hoping for much better results. Really disappointed. Would a stand-alone usb sound card make a difference?

Thanks for any comments.

Hi charlie,

If you're using a Windows laptop, you may need to check your system device volumes via Control Panel, then Hardware, Sound, and Audio (this path will depend on your Windows version).
Your current setting(s) may be too low. Might have to run them all up to 100%.

If these volumes are already at 100% I'll defer to other's advice.

u1xg0aa.jpg

Last edited:
Perfect, Spantini. That fixed it. The volume was already at 100, but I adjusted the db setting up and that made it sound a lot better.

Thanks a lot!

Alright ! :listeningmusic:

You may still have a problem, though. Having to turn up the dB level doesn't seem right.

If you're happy with your levels, that's good enough - eh..?

What are you hearing that you don't like? Hiss, hum, tinniness - boominess? Could you post a sample so we can hear. I don't quite understand what you're trying ng to do that isn't working?

I actually ended up turning the db back to where it was and put the Volume at 100. There is no hissing or any background noise. The quality now is surprisingly good - except for having to hear the sound of my own voice :)

Back