BR8 Help!!!!!!

s8n

Hi guy's.

This will be my first post here. I'm really glad I found this place cause I'm desperate.

I'm in a band. Just got a BR8. Never done any recording b4. I'm completly lost.

First of all I'm connecting the BR8 to a Yamaha EMX380 PA to use as a mixer. The main reason for doing this is to record live drum trax. This has become a total pain in the ass!!. I have a feeling the BR8 was not intended for this type of use. Any suggestions on the best way get good drum trax with this unit would be greatly appreciated.

2nd how do you get the right levels for recording with the BR8.

3rd how does the panning with this unit work. Do I pan b4 or after the recording?.

Well thats it for now. Thanx in advance for any assistance.

1)If you've read my other posts, you'll see that I brought a BR-8 just to compose songs with, not for live recording.
I did record my drummer live, just to see how it would sound, it turned out great. What I did was mic his drums with 4 mics, these I mixed down to two tracks to the BR-8. You can only record two tracks at one time. I recorded the drums on tracks 1 & 2 thru the "in-line" inputs. I also recorded the drum tracks "dry", without any effects, that way I could EQ or add effects later.

2)The recording levels should be between the 4 and 12 marks.

3) You can "pan" first before recording, if you want or after. When I recorded my drummer I panned track 1, L-100 and track 2, R-100.

The BR-8 was designed for guitarist and mostly as a composition tool. I'm not saying that only guitarist can use it, but I find more people buying one and trying to use it to record their whole band. The other VS series were made for that purpose. I went from using a Fostex X-14 to the Br-8, for me it's great. I'm writing more songs and recording them faster.

Thanx 72Fender.

I've heard from a couple of people to use the direct lines. When I bought the unit I didn't realize you can only record two trax at once.

The guy I bought the unit from was telling me to use some kind of bussing technique using the PA as a mixer. This is a total pain in the ass. I'm going to do it the way you and some others have suggested.

I wanted to be able to EQ and add effects to individual drums but I guess this won't be possible. O well live and learn.

Thanx for the link I'll check it out.

Back