BR-864 or MR-8 w/DR3?

Roodboy

If anyone could give me some guidance and/or opinions on these two options I would appreciate it. I am a simpleton and a newbie whose only recording experience involves paying other people to to do the recording work.
I see very little info on this forum on the BR-864 which appears to have a built in drum machine. The alternative would be the MR-8 with the DR3. They both seem to be @ $500.00.
Anyway I'ld like to get started on this long strange recording journey on my own since I've been playing guitar for 20+ years I guess its never too late to get started.
I'ld really appreciate any guidane and info.
Thanks.
Rudy

I would recommend the BR864.

I purchased the BR532 about a year ago and I am very happy with it. I also use a BOSS DR670 drum/bass machine for bass lines and more complex drum parts.

The 864 has the USB and the track EQ which is nice. I use a card reader to save my stuff and/or convert it to WAV. To change the track EQ during mixdown I have to bounce the track I wish to EQ to another track, then remix. Kind of a pain. You won't have to do that!

It doesn't produce the sound quality that the VS series does, but it's really hard to tell the difference. Let alone when you are playing your stuff back in your car or on walkman style headphones.

The effects are descent and you have the ability to change the parameters to create your own effects patches.

It's a great entry level machine for 500 bucks - and it's portable!

Do you think that you could get it to run on Windoes 98 SE. I remember seeing a post that said if you bought a compact flash card reader you could get a Fostex MR-8 to run a 98SE.

Back