BR-532 with monitors

johnd

Sorry, guys. Maybe a newbie question, but I was hoping someone with a BR-532 could answer my question. I am trying to hook up a set of Yamaha active monitors to my BR-532. The monitors are set up like this: the speakers plug into the subwoofer, which is where the amp is. The only input into the subwoofer is a cable with a 1/8" male plug. This input cable cannot be removed from the subwoofer.

The way I tried it was I plugged a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter into the cable, plugged that into a Y cable with a 1/4" plug to 2 male RCA plugs, then plugged the RCA's into the line out of my BR-532. It works, but sound only comes out of one speaker. How, without plugging the monitors into my headphone jack, can I make this work out of both speakers?

Check your connecting cables. Is the 1/8 to 1/4 jack a mono plug and not a stereo plug? The mono plug will have one 'band' near the tip, the stereo will have 2 'bands' near the tip.

well, there's your answer. It's only able to take a single line in and you're trying to feed it stereo signal so it's only picking up one side.

Instead of a stereo adapter you might try a "Y". That is 1/8 mono jack to two 1/8 mono RCA.

Even so... I'm still a little confused on the speakers running in to the subwoofer. Most powered woofers are set up to take a single signal to create the bass. But then the woofer has extension speakers? I'm a little confused about the setup. Are you sure that the woofer is driving those speakers?

hope that helps a little bit....

Thanks for replying. I have a "Y" adapter, but it's jack is 1/4" to 2 RCAs. I have a stereo 1/8" to 1/4" adapter plugged into the cable from the woofer, and the adapter into the "Y". Should I try a mono 1/8" to 1/4" adapter?

I don't know much about these speakers, but I think that they are basically glorified computer speakers. I am sure the woofer is the power. The speakers hook into the woofer.

Yes, you should use a mono adapter 1/8 to 1/4... but you should also make sure that your "Y" is mono 1/4, not stereo. It has to be a true "Y" , in other words make two mono signals from one mono signal..

.... of course you realize that by doing this you will only have a mono sound to your speakers. You won't be able to get a stereo sound, but both speakers should be putting out the same signal...

Thanks, Rudd. I will do that. As long as I can get a sound out of both speakers, I will be happy. Thanks for your help!

Your speaker connection still aren't correct if you're only getting mono. I have the same speaker config you have, 2 satellite connected to a sub-woofer(computer speakers) with a 1/8" stereo male cord. I either use a 1/4" adapter or a 1/8" female to RCA male Y to the BR-8's L & R line-out.

72fender said:
Your speaker connection still aren't correct if you're only getting mono. I have the same speaker config you have, 2 satellite connected to a sub-woofer(computer speakers) with a 1/8" stereo male cord. I either use a 1/4" adapter or a 1/8" female to RCA male Y to the BR-8's L & R line-out.

oops.... he's already stated that his cord from the woofer is mono, not stereo. lol, now I'm really confused. You're right, if he in fact does have a stereo mini coming from the woofer then there is still another problem somewhere. I suspect that he may not be sure what's stereo and what's mono with regard to his connections.....

I am sure that the 1/8" male coming from the woofer is mono (one black band, right?). Sounds like that is my problem.

good.... yup that's mono. Sorry didn't mean that to sound like you were an idiot or something. I know I've run in to my share of problems hooking stuff up and by the time you've got "Y"'s and adapters and various cable connections it's easy to get mixed up. You should be good to go with those mono connections. Let us know how it works out.

cheers

Rudd

Back