Boxey mix, lacking power.

Vinnydude

Clunge Monster
I've been struggling to get this for a while now. I've hit a major brick wall in my mixing and everything i'm doing at the moment sounds boxey, flat and not as powerful as I'd like.

https://www.box.com/s/qjcdf6q30d1wmq223fq0

Anyone care to offer some advice on this? It's not a complete track yet and it's lacking vocals. Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

My first impression is that the kick would be more effective if it was more subtle. (Quieter.)

It doesn't sound boxy to me. I mean, if it sounds boxy to you, what happens when you start axing lowmids?

Also, power on tuneage like this comes more from arrangement than mixing, I think. You're getting everything heard and balanced on this one (except for the kick, IMO). Maybe it's time to start muting segments and see if that generates some drama?

I listened to both versions. I didn't think there was a huge difference in the two. But I did think the second one was better. There seemed to be a better balance between the tracks and a little more breathing room in the mix. I still think the kick is a little too loud in the second mix - but then I don't know this genre all that well.

I didn't think either mix was boxy. If it were me, I wouldn't try to fix any of that. I think it will make the mix worse.

I thought the second mix was pretty good.

Not boxy.
If the mains were maxing it doesn't require limiting. You need to bring everything don a little bit.
You do need to punch holes in the arrangement - think Dub as in the remix of reggae in the 70's.

Back