Bouncing

soundprizm

Hey guys... I'm working on a new song, and I've overloaded my cpu with effects. I'm gonna bounce all the drums tracks. My question is; should I mixdown all the drum tracks as a stereo interleaved file, or stereo split? What would have the best results? I want to have the "new" drum track sound just like if I still had all the original tracks going. Thanks.

Donnie

Are you using duplicate effects per channel. {multiple inserts} ? Use a stereo buss if so to cut down load.
If the drums are already recorded in a stereo field, bounce the tracks interleaved.

Hey Stealth, yes, I'm using duplicate effects per channel. No way around the effects issue tho. The drums were recording on 8 seperate tracks, and all mono. I am doin a lot of panning on them though, that's why I'm asking about stereo interleave or stereo split.

im using logic audio and i'd be intrested to learn how to do this with the busses. So if i have say 4 guitar tracks, and they all have the exact same effects with the same settings, i could just put those effects on a buss, and then assign them to that buss?

Im using logic audio any idea how to do that?

A little 'sidenote' here
In general, "bouncing" within a DAW should be avoided.
Without going into the technical details / reasons why, try a different way and compare this to an internally bounced file .... you will most likely hear a sonic difference.

Instead of bouncing, try the following:
-create a new stereo track
-set the output of the tracks you wish to bounce to a new stereo bus.
-set the input of the new stereo track to the selected bus
-now record the selected tracks onto the new bus.

After this, disable the tracks you busses (remove the output) and store them in your playlist .... don't delete them as you might want to make changes later.

Also, make sure your new bussed stereo track in in allignment.
For drum tracks, allign the new track to your old snare track by emlifying the wav forms to samples and manually allign the new stereo track.

"instead of bouncing, try the following...."

I missed something in your explanation.. Why is this unlike bouncing? It sounds exactly like how you might go about bouncing tracks...or one method, at least. But, that is the way I reduce track count in my situation.

ah, so if say, i want to route some tracks through a certain buss, which i have applied effects to which will go over multiple channels, i would change the output of the tracks to that particular buss, and change the output of that buss to the master buss? so it goes back into the main mix?

If you're happy with the way they sound now and are not doing any wild automation on the individual drum parts, export it as a stereo interleaved file, reimport it and line it up with your old drum tracks. Turn off all processing on the individual drum tracks and mute them, or erase them if you're confident.

mixmkr said:
"instead of bouncing, try the following...."

I missed something in your explanation.. Why is this unlike bouncing? It sounds exactly like how you might go about bouncing tracks...or one method, at least. But, that is the way I reduce track count in my situation.

A number of DAW systems, like Pro Tools, provide a bounce option within the software.

Wouldn't stereo interleave mess with the mix since everything else is mono? I also will be doing another mixdown when finished with the mix. Having a stereo file while doing another mixdown won't mess anything up?

Your thinking of muffin hunter.. he's different. Now back to MY very important question. Im pretty sure the other guy is a evil Villan.

soundprizm said:
Wouldn't stereo interleave mess with the mix since everything else is mono? I also will be doing another mixdown when finished with the mix. Having a stereo file while doing another mixdown won't mess anything up?

"I want to have the "new" drum track sound just like if I still had all the original tracks going. Thanks.
Donnie"

You want to print a sub-mix with all the effects applied, right?
(Are any of these verbs? see below. :D
Seems like you should be able to make a 'stereo' mix-track and mix in with the others. I don't know your program, but in Cake when you 'export' they give you the option of a dual-mono or single-stereo output. But if your 'bouncing' a mix, I think it might have to be a single-stereo track. Either way, they should mix.
Other options...
Make safety copies of the tracks, apply some of the chanel specific effects destructively, (make sure they still have the same results) and archive (turn off) the originals. Then you can still tweak the mix on these tracks as your song progresses.
Can any of the effects be moved from 'insert' on the track, to an aux send?
Wayne

Thanks for the replies guys... A sub mix is exactly what I want. I guess the best option would be to do a stereo split mixdown, and import both of those files into the mix. Pan the left file all the way left, and the right, all the way right. Keeps it's it in mono and sounding the closest. I think... :D

Back