Bouncing tracks

That_Abbott

I understand when you bounce tracks on an analog recorder, you lose quality. Is it any better to bounce tracks on a digital recorder?

Sort of

Technically (or theoretically) speaking there should not be any degradation in sound quality because you are merging 2 data files.
However in real life, dependant on your software's mixing algorythms there could potentially be some loss in sound quality, particularly when submixing more than 8 or so tracks at a time.

However having said that, with the typical gear you would find in a homereccers analog studio it wouldn't be as noticable as say a cassette multitrack or 1/4" 8 trk.

Heyyyyyyyyy Abbot:

To add to what TMIX said, when you bounce tracks on either analog or digital, you LOSE tweaking control.

If you put say chords and a base line down and bounce them, now you have chords/bass together -- however, whatever EQ or Dynamics you add will affect both chords/bass == you have lost the advantage of tweaking each individual track.

That's why an 8 tracker is better than 4 tracks and 16 tracks is usually plenty for most folks. I have 16 tracks and seldom use more than 5 or 6 tracks to do a song.

I know some people do really good stuff bouncing tracks but it's more work and I'm kind of lazy.

Green Hornet :D :p :cool:

Back