Bouncing Tracks, Any quality loss?

joswil44

Frequently when I need to use lots of VST Plugins especially with Drumagog, I will keep the drum tracks in a separate project and save them as one stereo track which I import into another project with the Bass, Guitars, Vocals, etc.

This has helped keep things very stable for me and I would say I haven't noticed any negative changes in the sound doing it this way.

I just wonder if everything mixes in the same or if theres any difference in quality?

As long as you keep the bit depth and sampling rate the same between the two projects and when bouncing, you should be fine. In fact a lot of us do that to save resources.

Personally, I will have a project where I specifically do sound design where I run a bunch of synths, put them through FX and whatnot that would in the end become one lead sound for example, then bounce that, and import the audio in the main project.

but why two projects? your software can't archive (or freeze) the original tracks once you've made the stereo submix?

More flexibility. Once the tracks start piling on, un-freezing the original tracks to fix something might put it over the edge. Has happened to me before.

Back