Bought new saddles for my ABR-1

mjareo

I just bought new saddles for my guitar and recieved them a day or two ago. I didn't realize that they come as blanks (I suppose I should have guessed) and that they would be cut. I am planning on taking them to my local shop to get the notches cut, but I am just wondering what it takes to do it. I am pretty sure it will take more precision than I can easily accomplish, but has anyone ever worked with that or can explain what they do?

Thanks!

I have cut my own ABR1 saddles with a small triangular file. It didn't seem like they needed much more than a shallow slot to seat the string.

stanjanssen said:
I know it's explained at www.frets.com, a very good site by the way.
I am having a hard time finding it....all I ever wanted to know (and I really did) about acoustic saddles, but all I could find was a short mention of the basics of archtop setup that dealt with an ABR-1 bridge. Am I missing it?

And thanks for the suggestion lp - perhaps I shall look at doing it myself.

Dan Earlwine's book on guitar repair will take you through the steps, but it's simple enough that you could probably tackle it unaided. Just be sure that you notch the saddles where the string falls, and that you don't cut too deep!

I put a replacement bridge (abr-1) on my LP, and it was the same way; uncut. I asked the guy a tonepros about this and he suggested I just run it without grooving them. I've played it this way for nearly a year with no problems, i.e. string slippage, intonation problems, etc.

really? wow - I would assume that the strings would slip around, but for you the tension kept them in place?

mjareo said:
I am having a hard time finding it....all I ever wanted to know (and I really did) about acoustic saddles, but all I could find was a short mention of the basics of archtop setup that dealt with an ABR-1 bridge. Am I missing it?

And thanks for the suggestion lp - perhaps I shall look at doing it myself.

Ow, sorry, I actually didn't really know what you were talking about with the ABR-1 (sorry), but I saw you asking for saddle things and frets.com was the first thing that popped into my head...sorry, should have looked what you were asking in the first place..

I can't help you with anything else I don't think, so sorry, and good luck :)

Stan

stanjanssen said:
Ow, sorry, I actually didn't really know what you were talking about with the ABR-1 (sorry), but I saw you asking for saddle things and frets.com was the first thing that popped into my head...sorry, should have looked what you were asking in the first place..

I can't help you with anything else I don't think, so sorry, and good luck :)

Stan
No problem! I do like that site - thanks! I am primarily an acoustic player, so that is very helpful.

Back