Bought my first powered monitors......

robbocop

In fact it's the first time i've bought any kind of so called 'real' monitors for home recording,up until now i've just used PC speakers of varying qualities.The monitors i got were active Yamaha MSP5,s.Now a couple of things i need to understand,or figure out.First thing i did was play some really nice strong ballady songs(live to tell by Madonna)i was blown away,just as i've heard what people say you should get from good monitors,very detailed,punchy,things you've never heard before etcThe thing i can't understand though is when i'm recording say a heavy guitar track,especially that tight punchy thud i look for when you palm mute the strings all i get is flab?I don't get it,i have a £10($14) pair of PC speakers i used to use and they gave me a really good bass response yet i just can't figure out how to get a good tight bottom end for guitars from these monitors?All i get is flabbiness or it sounds really compressed and doesn't come out at me,im using a new PC i've built with an Athlon 64 3000+ at it's heart and an E-mu 1212m sound card.Can anyone suggest how to get a punchier sound from these monitors?Or maybe explain the difference between my pc speakers and monitors that may give differing results when recording?

PC monitors are more hifi vs real studio monitors will play the music at it's flatest settings. You must realize that monitors are made to depict the sound closest to the real live settings when the music is made. You really don't want to hear punchy sounds because it's main purpose is to give you the most accurate sounds for mixing and recording purposes. If you want punchy sound then regular hifi speakers would be your answer not studio monitors.

Back