Bought a few Bullets from the 1940s (/ hi-z mics, in general)

4tracker

It was a somewhat random purchase, mainly fueled by my dislike of all the over the top modern processing. I just felt an impulse to check out gear from an earlier era and did it.

What I found is that I really love the sound of these, and I am curious why I consistently read they "can't be used for serious recording".

I bought a Turner Brown Bullet (dynamic BD model) and 1949 Shure 707a (crystal). I read that they're only harp mics, but I found they sound awesome on vocals. At least on my voice. I'm sure it depends on the singer and style being recorded. But for me, recording folk/blues/indie rock they're great. The arrangements would probably have to be sparse to get them to fit in a mix, given the somewhat limited frequency spectrum, high bottom end, and lack of upper frequency. I'm still experimenting with that. I lucked out and found a 707a with a good crystal. This is main problem with them, I guess, but even if you get bad luck and the crystal is done, the user can put a CM in it, and they still sound great, probably even more modern.

The Turner has a lot of low end and is a dynamic...the low end seems like it might be good to record a stompbox or kick drum, even, especially if you want a light crunch on the percussion.

I also don't understand why hi-z mics have a bad association. I own 3 now and they all sound really good. The other I have is a shure 533a sphere o dyne. I think this one is from the 60s. It's a bizarre hi-z omni, but singing into it gives an automatic "The Strokes" rock sound, but also an old bluesy sound. I love it.

Anyway, I am just curious to hear opinions on these mics and why they get a so-so rap.

Back