Bottom Snare mic?

dumass

hey, whats a good mic for the bottom of the snare for under $100? would a condenser be better than a dynamic? i'm thinking about going with either a sm57 or a mxl 603. i currently use a rode nt1-a...it does the job good, but since i'm thinkin bout gettin a mxl 603 for the acoustic (i already the oktava mc012) for more variety and options.

I use a CAD M-179 . I believe you can get one of it's siblings, the M37, for ridiculously low.

I didn't used to be a fan of mic'ing under the snare, but I've lately become a convert. The CAD has a nice, meaty sound to it on drums. They make good overheads, too, if you like meaty. The trick is to place it close to the floor, pointing up. That way, you're allowing some of the lower end of the snare a chance to actually develop a bit -- unlike the top mic, which is way too close for that (and is usually gated like crazy anyway).

The problem with the way most people mic under the snare is they get in way too close. A snare needs more breathing room -- and it's not like it's getting any with that 57 practically glued to it's shell.

dumass said:
i'm thinking about going with either a sm57 or a mxl 603. i currently use a rode nt1-a...it does the job good, but since i'm thinkin bout gettin a mxl 603 for the acoustic (i already the oktava mc012) for more variety and options.

lets see, for bottom of snare!

sm57....will work just fine
mxl603..will work just fine
nt-1a....will work just fine
mc012...will work just fine

point being, its a snare bottom! I've used just about anything under there. once you cut the lows, all you're really left with is those nasty snares anyway..... mix it to taste and no ones gonna know what was used!....if your hell bent on spending money (under $100.00) go for something completely different, like a sp b-1 ($79.00) you can use it on snare bottom, or top, acoustic guitars, vocals, etc....just make sure you dont breathe in that mic too much, it doesnt like moisture!

I have to disagree with you big-time on this one Babalou.

The right mike and the right positioning/technique will make the difference between a totally useless under-snare track that sounds like someone's hitting popcorn kernals wrapped in tin foil . . . and something that actually has some useful snap, sizzle and punch that can help support the top snare mic in artistically useful ways.

And why the hell would you want to "cut those lows"? That's the best part about it.

IMO of course!

but for me, I get such a full sound from my snare's top and overheads It gives me all the fullness and body I need. I dig a full natural, woody, sounding snare.. not choked at all.

the bottom mic gives me the extra rattle/sizzle tone defining the snare as the unique drum it is, (seperating it from my toms which are 8" 10" 12" 14"). I cut out the lows for the reason of illiminating any thud or dullness sound. my mic placement is really up and under the springs for that desired rattle...

depending on the tune I sometimes will mute the top mic in the mix during early veses or bridges/breakdowns and let the bottom mic (along with my overs) give me a nice mellow section until the chorus/etc. kicks back in. so the bottom snare mic in my configuration has multi purposes.

I have used 57's, 58's, mc012's, mk319, 4033's, small and large diaphrams alike on snr. bttm. and find all work well for my needs....

IMO Dumass has quite a selection already to do the job and with valentines day fast approaching he might want to invest that $100 into his gal to keep the peace for the remaining 364 days!

I use an SM57 for top and a Beta57 for bottom. You can hear it here:

www.soundclick.com/danwhitakercountryband

Note that I get a whole lot of my snare sound from my two overheads as well as B1 that I put out front 5' as a room mic.

If you listen to the songs, you might find it interesting that I only put reverb on the Snare bottom and in about 50% of the songs I also put it on the B1 room mic.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Do you phase-reverse the bottom mic?

I'd think the bottom mic should have a high frequency response, such as the Beyer M201 or Audix D1/D3, to capture the sizzle of the snares.

I've not mapped the snare frequency range, so only guessing about how much high end is required. My SM57 don't go particularly high, compared to the Beyer and Audix mics.

chessrock is dead right about the placement.. i use n mxl 990 (no real reason, only spare ldc) about 4" off the floor.. you might find it helps capture a little b/d attack aswell..

Back