Boss RC-30 (Looper Pedal) Questions

RyanRosario

For the Boss RC-30 that I'm getting, I looked up that it only has one XLR plug in. Since that is the case, I'd only be able to plug in just one microphone to use with the looper. The thing is, I'd like to be able to use multiple so I'm going to get myself an XLR to 1/4 cable. I was wondering if it's okay to do that with the Boss RC-30 and if anyone has done this and the sound quality was fine. No problems whatsoever. I want to have one microphone for vocals and one for guitar.

What are you trying to do? Loop both a vocal and an acoustic guitar part at the same time? The 1/4" input will not have a mic preamp on it, so chances are the resulting sound signal will not be loud enough for you.

well maybe that at times, but just so one of my mics get the full sound of the guitar being in front of it. one in front of my mouth and one in front of the guitar hole. won't be loud enough? ugh that's a shame :/

I have a feeling that the best setup would involve a mic for vocals into the XLR and a direct input from an electric/acoustic guitar pickup into the 1/4" input.

Now I'm going to go wash out my ears after thinking of the sound of an acoustic guitar pickup.

I've never heard of anyone using a looper for both vocals and acoustic at the same time - no way to adjust the volumes separately, and never heard of anyone trying to do it with a miked acoustic, either. And when miking an acoustic, try pointing it around the 12th fret, straight at the soundhole will not give you a good sound.

I've never heard of anyone using a looper for both vocals and acoustic at the same time - no way to adjust the volumes separately

I did it regularly, although not with the RC30 but the RC50 which has more input/output options. As part of a two acoustic guitar, two voice duo I would have a kick drum track pre-recorded in the device and then lay down a series of guitar parts for one or more parts of the song, then add several layers of harmonies.... all in the song set up before we started off the actual tune - which was all part of the show. Took a while but people who were listening seemed interested in it and my god it sounded awesome when I kicked the pedal in at the chorus or wherever and got this massive wall of sound from just two people... :)

I did need a separate mic and stand for the vocal mic, rather than the normal vocal mic which went straight to the PA, so I just used a spare SM58 and a non-boom stand and dragged them forward for any song that had looped vocals.

Way too hard using a miked acoustic, however. Wouldn't go there. This was via pickup.

As a live thing, this was some of the most complicated playing I've ever done - so much to do... and I had to rehearse and rehearse and rehearse to make sure I stood on the correct pedals at the correct time whilst playing the correct notes. I certainly knew I was alive when I was setting up these songs at a gig...:eek:

Back