Boss DD-5 - only with PSA-Adaptor???

smirky

Hi folks!
I recently bought a DD-5, and as it is a battery-killer I want to use it with an adaptor. the guys at the music store told me that it goes with any 9V-adaptor, but when I tried it at home it was somehow strange:
the check-light never went off. it was very bright when the effect was turned on, and not so bright when turned off (but it actually should completely fade).

maybe the DD-5 gets too much energy with a common 9V-adaptor so the light never goes out? could this damage the DD-5? (excuse my stupid questions, but I'm no technician at all)

the PSA-Adaptor is damn expensive, so does anyone of you know a proper alternative to it?

I think you may have blown the power transformer in the Boss unit. Most Boss products (I have the Sp202 & the DR 202) only recommend you use their ac adapter as others can seriously damage the circuit board. I'm not home right now so I can't tell you what kind of adapter to use, but the Boss adapters can be
had for $20.00 .

All the Boss pedals made today use the same power supply, the PSA-120. Some of the older pedals used the ASA-120. They ARE different and you need to use the right one.....it should say on the bottom of the DD-5 which power adapter you need.

There are some different brand power adapters that work, but they are only a couple of bucks cheaper than the Boss units. Guitar Center carries them.

I like Boss pedals. I've got the Blues Driver, CE5 Chorus Ensemble, BF Flanger, and SD-1 SuperOverdrive. The SuperOverdrive is unbelievable with bass guitar.

Yeah, Boss makes all their products so that they won't work well with any adapter but their own, expect buzzes and hums and all sorts of weird behavior if you use another brand of adapter. :mad:

I just recently bought a Boss NF-1 Noise Gate pedal on eBay and I just received it today but when I plugged it in, the light went on but the pedal was not operating. When I went to tweak the knobs, the sound would not change at all. I tried various different 9V adapters and new 9V batteries but I still get the same result.

I read this topic and I looked at the back of my noise gate and it says "Use Only With ACA Adaptor". I have several other Boss effects and they all work with either my K-Mart 9V Adapter or Voodoo labs pedal power, but I've noticed all my other pedals say "Use Only With PSA Adaptor".

I want my pedal to work so any helpful replies will be noticed.

Back