Boss Br1600 beginnings and ends

neogardguitar

Hey

Have had my 1600 for about a month and its going pretty well.

Have one question if anyone can help. I record mix and master the song and bounce down to track 9/10, having cleaned up the starts and the endings. But when I burn the song to CD, there are big silences at the start. How do I tell the machine where the track starts and ends?

Thanks
N

I think if you make sure to start the song where you want to start it during the master recording (ie, remove the count-in by starting the playback right at the first beat) then that's what gets recorded to the master v-track, which is what will be burned to cd. If you were to start the master recording at the very beginning it will record all of the count-in and whatever gap you have at the start before your song begins.

If you're already doing the above, then there's also something in the CD write screen called pre-gap, which I believe sets the time between tracks... (I've never changed that setting but it only goes up to 3.4 seconds. Are you talking about a longer time than that?

I have been doing exactly what you described. I start the mastering where I want the song to start but I still get all the count-in gap at the beginning when I burn it.

Here's what I do. I always start my songs at measure 3. Not sure why, but that's what I do. That gives me a couple measure lead in for a metronome or some other drum timing beat so I know when to start 'playing'. I mix AND master with that lead in there. After I master, I use the scrub feature on the mastered track to find the exact spot where the song 'starts', then I use the jog dial to back up ONE second. I mark that spot with the punch in or out button, then go to Utility/Track/Cut. The starting point is ZERO, and the ending point is the value stored in the punch in/out button (whichever you choose to use). I believe I have my CD pre-gap set to 2 or 3. The pre-gap will be added with the ONE second 'dead space' in front of each song when it is burned, and that is how much time will be in front of it. Also, if you have ANY 'sound' BEYOND the true end of the song, I believe the recorder will think that is part of the song and that could also be causing some of the 'space' between songs. This might even be the case if you have NO sound there, but leave the RECORD enabled for some length of time beyond the true end of the song (I haven't tested that). If you DO have sounds at the end, use the Track/Cut feature there as well to get rid of it.

Hope that helps.

Steve

I have owned my 1600 for a year now and have achieved some very good results. With the problem of excessive gap between songs, what I had to do to overcome this when it happened to me was to edit my tracks 9/10 using track cut once I had mixed down to tracks 9/10, which would eleviate cutting multiple tracks. I then ran through the mastering facility, left the gap set at 3.0secs and if burning more than 1 track I would use disc at once. The final result when played on a stereo with a track time counter would count down -00.03, -00.02, -00.01, 00.00 and playback would start.

Hope this helps, it works!

Last edited:
Back