Boss BR-532

MikeA

A friend just purchased a Boss BR-532 Digital Studio and asked me to check it out for him. The first thing he needs to get is a Smart Media card and after checking things out online it looks like those cards are kind of hard to find. I have found some 128 MB for $80-$90. I've also seen some larger ones (1GB) around $115.and was wondering if there was a problem with getting one of those. The manual says it will hold up to a 128 MB but I'm thinking that's because that's the largest that was available at the time the unit was made. Anybody have experience with this machine?

Thanks,

Mike

The OS's in those early Boss card-recording multitrackers are kind of unpredictable.

It IS possible that you could format a 1 gig card for use and have the machine be able to take advantage of the whole thing, but a much more likely scenario is that no matter how big the card is the machine will only format the first 128 megabytes so the extra money you might spend on the bigger card would be wasted.

Here's a link --- LINK --- to the Roland/Boss site with an upgrade for the OS and the 'free.wav' software for converting the BR-532 tracks to wav files.

I had the BR-8 which had a zip drive. I didn't like that media at all. No offense but there are so many cheap/used digital recorders with hard drives & usb out there, why go for something that uses expensive, limited cards? Unless he got a real good deal on it.

Thanks for the replys. I don't know anything about the kind of deal he got. I guess I'll opt for the 128 MB card though because of the possibility that it won't use all of it.

Mike

Back