Boring, droning, jazzy first verse of a post-rock song

xtjdx

Yeah, a lot of threads lately. I'm really curious to see what you guys have to say about this song so far. I'm not a good drummer, and the only drummer I would trust on this type of project is in Florida right now, so take it easy. Some of the guitar parts are going to be re-recorded, but this is basically how this song is going to be laid out (you can get a pretty good idea of the rest from this section). The last part with just the bass and drums is just improv BS. Still writing the next part.
You can get it here.
And also here (lofi probably).
Thanks for reading/listening.

Last edited:
this is pretty cool. i like it better than the previous one. looking forward to hearing finished versions. the drumming is good, too, in my opinion.

good production. you got an ear for balancing things.

Nice stuff - i like the genre, just dont go too hippy (thats my opinion) - everything sounds good here on my monitors, but if I could suggest changes, i'd say take a little of the highs out of the snare (sounds a TAD too dry for this style - or maybe this is just a result of the drum tuning? - just sounds a little out of place) - and the kick is way too punchy - it's got a good sound, but sounds really compressed or something, dull it out a bit so its more of a feeling and I think it'd be good. I really like your tom sound, how are you recording these?

Oh, and I love the bassline at the end. :)
And the guitar part at the beginning. :)
Keep it up!

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the snare. The sound of the drums in general is pretty bad because my good kit got stolen (Pearl Export... it was so nice), so I have to play on a Groove Percussion kit and it doesn't stay tuned. Ever.
I tried using a piccolo for the snare but it just didn't work, so I'll try replacing the heads today and see if that makes any difference (doubtful).
The kick isn't compressed at all. Maybe it needs to be gated a bit and given some creative EQ? I'll work on it.
Pictures of my setup are below. The mixer goes into a Delta 1010 and the computer on the left is an Athlon 64 3400+.
Oh, and also, I could never go too hippy.
Thanks for the feedback.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 26
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 20
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 22
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 18
Hmm... I don't think the kick needs gating, but its got too much attack (not EQ, but I think it's the way you've got it tuned) - The front head sounds tight and dampened - maybe loosen it up and see if you can get it to just be more boomy without that hard hit up front that I'm hearing on this mix. Remember kicks are supposed to just be a feeling rather than hearing them(Especially for this genre - unless your playing punk or something).

Not crazy about the style but that is just my taste. But it sounds good!
Nice job!

Back