Booting Firebox with MacBook Pro

electricabanana

Hey

I am using a firebox into macbook pro. the new macbook pros cannot start the firebox with bus power only...once it gets going from the AC adapter, the bus power will keep it going, but cant boot it up. a huge piss off for portable/field recording. anyways, if anyone else has this problem....
I HAVE A SOLUTION!!!!

you need to buy two 9V batteries, and two 9v battery connectors (a little thing with some ports to recieve the battery and two cords), and a tip connector that fits your unit. with the batteries it only set me back $15

wire the two battery connectors in series (positive to positive, neg to neg) and connect the remaining cords to the tip connector. voila!

i put it all together without solder, but i am a genius, and you mere mortals may prefer a sturdier soldered version, but thats the idea.

email jolanbailey@shaw.ca if you need any clarification.

electricabanana said:
Hey

I am using a firebox into macbook pro. the new macbook pros cannot start the firebox with bus power only...once it gets going from the AC adapter, the bus power will keep it going, but cant boot it up. a huge piss off for portable/field recording. anyways, if anyone else has this problem....
I HAVE A SOLUTION!!!!

you need to buy two 9V batteries, and two 9v battery connectors (a little thing with some ports to recieve the battery and two cords), and a tip connector that fits your unit. with the batteries it only set me back $15

wire the two battery connectors in series (positive to positive, neg to neg) and connect the remaining cords to the tip connector. voila!

i put it all together without solder, but i am a genius, and you mere mortals may prefer a sturdier soldered version, but thats the idea.

email jolanbailey@shaw.ca if you need any clarification.

hmm that's weird..maybe there is a proble, with the MBP... never had problems with mine, even done some hardcore games via bootcamp while waiting for someone in my car haha.

TerraMortim said:
hmm that's weird..maybe there is a proble, with the MBP... never had problems with mine, even done some hardcore games via bootcamp while waiting for someone in my car haha.

The MBP is fine. The FIREBOX isn't compliant with the FireWire 1394a specs. It draws too much current when you first apply power, so the MBP interprets it as a shorted out port and shuts down the power to avoid blowing anything in either device.

BTW, 18VDC is probably too hot for the FIREBOX. Might work, but less than ideal. I'd add a 12V regulator (and a switch since a regulator by itself will drain batteries) to that design.

Back