Boosting the sounds

Fleaflicker

I want to get a program to boost the volume of my recordings. I know I don't want to spend the kind of cash it would take for Waves. How about Ozone? Any other suggestions? I don't to start a Waves vs. Ozone debate here, I've done that before! Is Ozone a good product for home 'produced/mastered' music? Again, any others that fall into a similar price range? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

I haven't had any experience with ozone but i hear it's good. I use the Waves mastering plugs and I've also used the wavelab plugins.

Look what I found!

LOL fenix. :D

Not laughing at you Fleaflicker - most everybody (includeing me) wants their music to flow at the same relative loudness so we don't have to spend the first 30 seconds listening and adjusting knobs. :)

I have Ozone and use it to make small adjustment in loudness sometimes - but more often I use Voxengo Elephant mastering limiter (VST). It's my most transparant single-pass limiter I use to adjust loudness (if the mix is already fairly balanced - EQ and dynamics wise).

If you have VST here's a free mastering limiter though so you can try it out. Also if you watch the rms levels on this free RTA you can get an idea of how much is too much - your ears will tell you that too !

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-master-limiter.php
http://elementalaudio.com/products/inspector/index.html

You should be able to 'push' into that mastering limiter (with a good sounding balanced mix) 3-5dB without getting distortion - depending on where your rms level is in the first place and if anybody else has already 'stepped' on your music.

Happy Volume Boosting !
kylen

PS you didn't mention if these are your mixes or if they're commercial recordings you want to adjust the volume on...

I didn't know a limiter could make that much difference...

Doyou limit individual channels/tracks or just in the final mix?

I'd go for the track comps/limiters first, masters as the last resort, keep working on the mixes and checking with and without the master. Sometimes it ends up sounding better with out, which is nice.
Wayne

Back