Boom Boom Sub Sub BOOM!

seansigep

basically, what I wanted to know, is how do you correctly incorporate a subwoofer into your system? How loud is it supposed to be as opposed to your monitors?

here's a few things i soaked up around here,

1) Use the sub volume that gives you the best translations, use ears only.
2) Use a DB meter to plot the volume to mesh with your nearfields freq's.
3) Use a RTA, because the DB sucks and watch it real time.
4) Read how RTA sucks and adjust your sub volume by ear.(see #1)

FREQ Integration:
Basically, unless your in Abbey Road (and their not perfect),
just blindly keep hanging a bunch of bass traps everywhere, even when you can't hear an improvement anymore, and FOAM, the same thing, just keep buying it...But DON'T use your ears though when it comes to this!!!
Use a calculator for placing things, and oh, and physics.....
but DO NOT use a DB or RTA or EQ to determine if the FOAM or BAss traps are working. All those meters and charts I've been told are a waste of time, at least the affordable ones.

SUB PLACEMENT:
The EE triangle and placing the sub is debateable too.
Some say anywhere, some say in the center, some say don't use a sub at all because you can't even set it up right as you have no way of measuring it correctly.
Some say its non directional or locatable, some say it is.

FINISH LINE!!
One thing is agreed upon when setting up subs, thank goodness!

That if your sub is integrated & setup correctly,
you won't be able hear it.

:confused:

Unless you have a tuned room and some measurement capabilities, the best approach is to find out where your monitors roll off, set the sub's LPF to come in around that frequency, and adjust the sub's level so that it just fills in, but don't get radical with it........especially in an un-trapped room. The test that matters the most is doing some mixes, burning some CDs, and seeing how they translate to a variety of other systems. If you go from over-represented lows before the sub, to under-represented lows after the sub.....turn it down.

Back