bongos

Porter

aka WookieMan
Drummers / Percussionists,

I'm looking at buying some Bongos (Toca Elite I think.. they aren't firbreglass). Reason being, I'm currently using MIDI Drums/samples and I want to produce some acoustic only music so I'm was looking at the Bongos to play. Now I currently play Guitar/Piano and have a good sense of rhythm when tapping on my legs.

What I would like to know is, for a beginner are they hard to play?

Does anyone know of any on-line resouces to learn technique?

Roughly how much are skins?

Any other things I'm not looking at that I should?

Porter

Bongo drums are likely one of the easiest hand drums to play. If you can tap out rhythem on a table top you can get some realistic grooves from a set of bongos. If you play keys/guitar you should be able to get some functional grooves on bongos.

Naturally, there a some fine percusionists who take it to a whole different level, but basic bongo technique is much easier than conga technique - it's mostly finger technique and does not utilize open and closed slaps, etc. the way congas do.

I would recommend buying a stand (holding bongos between your legs can be physically demanding for a while).

I have not bought a bongo head in a long time, but if i recall, the cost is in the $20-$25 range. However, if you care for you heads, they should last for a long time. Always use your hands - not sticks.

If you get skins, (vs. synthetic heads) you want to keep them moist (hand cream with lanoline maybe 2-3 times a year). If you play often enough the oil from your hands should provide most of what the drums need.

Keep them out of direct sunlight and avoid an overly dry environment. Some people suggest detuning when not in use (to limit the stretch of the head), but I've always thought that may be undue wear on the lugs.

I"ve seem some on line sites with good basic info, but I don't have any links.

Good luck, you should enjoy playing bongos - unlike many instruments you can get pretty instant gratification.

mikeh,

Thanks for the reply and the info. I got the Toca Players Series in a Natural finish. I'm definately thinking about a stand. Until you get them home and start playing them, you don't realise how hard they are to hold between your legs.

Porter

Back