Boat Anchor CD Burner

Tim Walker

I was at Fullersound (mastering house) in Miami about 9 years ago, and we spotted this big ass metal box (it seemed to be slightly larger than the size of an early microwave oven) sitting off to the side in the control room. We asked what it was, and the engineer said it was their first CD Burner purchased in maybe 1983 or 1984, and it cost them 50,000.

I just thought it was funny.

tim

there's somewhere around 5 miles worth of etchings on a full-length CD. not that that's particularly relevant, but I thought about how difficult it must've been to make an accurate burner back in thooose days. or even in these days.

Since the CD-R had not been invented in 1983 or 1984, it must have been very different from the "burners" that you and I have come to know. Could it have been a device for making glass masters -- a laser beam recorder (LBR)?

There's a picture of one here: http://www.usod.com/tour/cd/stepc.html

DonF said:
Since the CD-R had not been invented in 1983 or 1984, it must have been very different from the "burners" that you and I have come to know. Could it have been a device for making glass masters -- a laser beam recorder (LBR)?

Could have been, I looked more like a steel box. It was huge, and was $50k

But they said they easily made their money back by selling CD masters.

tim

My first burner (1X) cost around $2500. Blanks were about $50 each if you got the "good guy" price...

Ahh, the good ol' days...

Back