Blumlein for acoustic duo?

Resoman

I'll have added two figure 8 mics to my collection next week, and I'm wondering how the Blumlein technique would work with an acoustic duo. One guy sings and plays guitar, I sing and play Dobro.
Of course, the definitive way to answer this question is to "try it", which I will, but I wondered if any forum members have experience with such a setup. I'm having a hard time imagining what the stereo image would be...
Thanks,
Gary

In a good room with a bunch of sound sources that are already well balanced, you could try it, but it's a technique better suited to interesting acoustic environments, where the rear lobes capture the room sound. Your duo with four sound sources would be tough to balance properly with any kind of stereo pair, and I suspect the rear capture could make this technique even more difficult. Worth a go. I quite like Blumlein techniques in larger churches and cathedrals with choirs and chamber orchestras, but I only used it once many years ago on a trad jazz quintet playing in a small pub, and the results were pretty horrible. Boxy room acoustics and distracting audience noises.

Back