Bluesy mix

I think the mix sounds just right once all the band start motoring, playing as an ensemble. (Er, with the exception of the bass, that is, which is more of a 'presence' than an instrument: it's a bit flabby and undefined. But that's not the end of the world.) I think you've basically nailed the sound of this band when they properly kick in.

But it starts off a bit hesitantly, both in terms of vocal performance and mix. It just sounds wrong to me. The piano, when it's exposed like that, sounds very digital and bright, and the drums sound a bit drum machiney (even though they're not). If you can be bothered, you could maybe EQ the piano just a little darker just for the start of the song. (in fact maybe a tiny bit of distortion on the piano as well?) And maybe add a bit of room-y reverb to the drums just at the start. (Well, maybe throughout actually)

That falsetto thing that the singer does towards the start sounds a little uncomfortable too: I don't suppose you have a different take of that vocal line you could substitute? it's a shame, cos the start of a song is when the listener's really paying attention, if it happened later on it wouldn't even be an issue.

Back