Blues through my metal amp...

amra

I finally got my main tube amp head into the shop to get fixed. It had what turned out to be some blown caps. I also bought some new power tubes and had them put them in bias it while they had it.

Anyways, it sounded so sweet to me, I decided to do some guitar tone tests and see what you guys thought. Now keep in mind, I play a "doomy" heavy style of music in Drop C, and that is mainly what this amp is used for...but hey I live was born and raised in Texas so I love me some blues and southern rock, too.

So today, the other guitarist from my band was over, who has a real strong blues influence. When I heard him playing through it, I was inspired to see what kind of blues tones we could get. Here is what we came up with. Forgive the occasional pop/click. Apparently my recording PC needed to be rebooted and I didn't catch it, it was just a down and dirty recording.

This is basically my buddy riffing around. I told him to vary his playing styles and see how it responded. It is all just guitar straight to amp. If you anyone is interested enough I would be glad to provide recording details, mics, etc.

And some slightly more rock flavored stuff:

Ain't nothing wrong with that tone, I think you've done a good job.
I liked the cleaner stuff personally, I could imagine that in a full mix pretty easily.

What sort of amp are you using here?

Thanks for taking a listen Metalhead...
The amp is the main amp I use for my metal band, it is a "Red Bear", made in Russia and imported by gibson.

It's got 4 6l6 tubes in the power amp, and some weird 62NP tubes for preamp. I knew it did heavy well, but I read an article about some blues guy using one for straight up blues, so I figured I would see how it would sound.

mk120.jpg

Back