Blues Drums

post.aux.fader

Hey all, I'm looking to form a blues band with the kid down the street from me. He plays rythm and sings, I play lead, we are gunna get his lil bro to play the drums. Can anyone shed some light on how to just plays some basic blues drums? Are there any online sources?

thanks for your input.

post.aux.fader said:
Hey all, I'm looking to form a blues band with the kid down the street from me. He plays rythm and sings, I play lead, we are gunna get his lil bro to play the drums. Can anyone shed some light on how to just plays some basic blues drums? Are there any online sources?.

Check out anything Stevie Ray Vaughan ever recorded, the Gary Moore's Midnight Blues band with (my good friend) Graham Walker on kit, Jimi Hendrix cos Mitch Mitchell rocks & Rory Gallagher (particularly with Ted Mckenna)

If your stick man can pick things up by ear then there is 4 exceptionally good blues people to start with

Happy learning :D
Slidey
BTW- I'm 1/2 way through finishing a blues album with my father (who played with Graham Walker through the 60's up untill 1970)

TamaSabian said:
There´s a Levon Helm DVD. He´s an amazing drummer from The Band.

YESSSSSSSSSS I'm not the only levon helm fan under 50 that I know of

Hes got an ace solo album done in 82 name of it escapes me

TamaSabian said:
There´s a Levon Helm DVD. He´s an amazing drummer from The Band.

http://theband.hiof.no/videos/on_drums_drumming.html

TS

This is really good advice...............also ........start listening to the early stuff
The Chicago stuff .......................
The jump stuff from the forties....... Louie Jordan
The Texas stuff.............Freddie King......Lightning Hopkins
Early Rhytym & Blues................... "Race Records"
Hendrix and Stevie Ray are great but..................I would not start there.......
Check out early James Cotton................Howlin Wolf ..............Jimmy Reed.........Muddy Waters
Go to sleep at night with this stuff playing and let it fill your brain.

Rico

Rico 52 said:
Hendrix and Stevie Ray are great but..................I would not start there.......

granted but if you look at the individual drummers of the four I mentioned & trace their history you end up listening to some good stuff in the process

Paul Butterfield Blues Band----they rock

slidey said:
granted but if you look at the individual drummers of the four I mentioned & trace their history you end up listening to some good stuff in the process

Paul Butterfield Blues Band----they rock

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Bonham

As far as 70's blues rock:

1) Get Zeppelin's fist album and second album. Bonham could swing like a mother f*cker. His use of triplets, bits and pieces of them, is top notch.

Also, the blues rhythm foundation of John Paul Jones and Bonzo was incredibly powerful.

2) ZZ-TOP

That was a great blues rock band. Frank Beard applied numerous types of blues drumming rudiments and grooves all over the place.

3) Allman Brothers Band. Two drummers shuffling together.

These are the 3 top notch heavy hitting blues rock bands that come to mind for me. :cool:

sushi-mon said:
As far as 70's blues rock:

1) Get Zeppelin's fist album and second album. Bonham could swing like a mother f*cker. His use of triplets, bits and pieces of them, is top notch.

Also, the blues rhythm foundation of John Paul Jones and Bonzo was incredibly powerful.

2) ZZ-TOP

That was a great blues rock band. Frank Beard applied numerous types of blues drumming rudiments and grooves all over the place.

3) Allman Brothers Band. Two drummers shuffling together.

These are the 3 top notch heavy hitting blues rock bands that come to mind for me. :cool:

yeah cool stuff all round

You should start off playing Howlin' Wolf, The Doors blues stuff is pretty simple & basic. Bo Diddley has some pretty hip. That's only a few.

Back