Blueberry or TLM103?

djdocrok

I'm curious to find out from someone who has worked with both of them for vocal work to find out which one they prefer... I do like the "neumann sound" but I've heard a lot of great things about the blueberry so I thought I'd check and see if anyone can weigh in with somethin helpful.

I'll vouch for the Blueberry over the TLM103 on vox. I did a mic shoot out and one of them was a Blueberry which finished in the top tied with an SE H3500. If you want the link I'll post it in this thread or PM you. The TLM is obviously a very good mic but on vox at least with my voice the Blueberry wins out. As always YMMV. Good luck.

I agree - I've had both mics and would normally go to the Bluberry.

Now that is not to say that the 103 won't sound better on some sources but in overall use the Blueberry is probably a better mic.

I also prefer the blueberry on vocals. The Blueberry is one of the only mics I have ever owned that I don't go through love/hate phases with. It is always a strong contender, if not not my number one choice when it comes to vocals.

The TLM 103 is not a bad mic by any means, but it just does not seem to have the "Neumann magic" that really earned Neumann it's reputation. It always sounds nice, but often gets a little lost when mixing. I may end up rebuying one in the future, but it's not at the top of my list as far as LD condensors go.

In the TLM/Blueberry price range, you may want to also look at the Soundelux U195. It is also a solid contender in the $1000 price range.

dude....seriously, if you can, go straight for the Blue Bottle. I mean you'll have to sell your car and maybe a few TVs.

Plugged one in yesterday for the first time, I about shit my pants!

I can't vouch for the Blueberry since I haven't used that model, but for the 103 I can say this...very specific mic.

It'll sound great on a very few select set of voices. Managable on acoustic, not too shabby on amps, but I would hold off on the 103 until you've compared extensively with other mics of the same range.

I think this would be a classic case of ears versus name brands.

Sounds like the people have spoken! I'm gonna check out that soundluxe too tho I remember reading something about that.

I have used all three as well. I certainly can not say that I much prefer the Soundleux. As far as a more versatile mic goes, I would say yes the Soundelux. As far as for purely vocals, the Blueberry is usually my choice. The important thing about the Blueberry is to try some different distances with it. The Blueberry is a lot more versatile than people think as a vocal mic if you try it from 3 inches, than 6 inches, than 12, 18 etc... It's proximity affect is very usable and I love my Blueberry due to that fact. The Blueberry always seems to sit very well in a mix.

Back