Blue Yeti fuzzy background

Dija Pace

Hi everyone,

I'm using a brand new Blue Yeti to record audiobooks on my Mac. I'm using Garageband in a soundproof room, yet when I record, there is still this low humming buzzing sound when I playback my recordings. My computer isn't making any noise, and everything else is turned off. I've tried turning the gain down and adjusting other settings to no avail. I've attached an mp3 of what I am hearing.

Any other ideas or suggestions are much appreciated.

Attachments

• 10secondtest.mp3
    377.1 KB · Views: 31
What do you mean by 'soundproof room'? Or do you mean 'treated room'?

The humming/buzzing sounds like some ambient noise that might be present in the room or elsewhere. You mention turning the gain down. Did that change it or did it stay the same? My own mics can pick up sound in the room while recording that I can't hear normally.

Are you using a high pass filter in GarageBand (or just reducing the low end in EQ)? Also, are you using a shock mount? If not, you might want to place the mic on a piece of foam rubber to see if that eliminates any vibration that might be in your desktop.

I don't have a Mac so I'm not sure how the operating system audio setup works there, but on a Windows PC, my Blue Yeti had the windows recording device gain cranked right up and it might have even had the 20db boost on as well when I first plugged it in, it would distort with anything more than a whisper, some things you might want to check are..

1) Any operating system audio settings that may be affecting the signal in between the mic and GarageBand.

2) Make sure that the Mic is not set for Omni, as that will greatly increase the room noise.

3) The mic is very sensitive to vibration if using it on a desktop with a computer on it as well, it can easily pick up fan and hard drive vibrations thru it's stand.

Back