"Blue Wall"--blues/prog/garage...?!

Ibuildmyguitars

Check out our new song, "Blue Wall." I wrote this and recorded the guitars and bass and lead vox. My brother did the drums and backup vox.
Guitars were recorded mostly with a 5-watt tube amp, bass DI'd.

http://www.purevolume.com/postscriptoh

Let me know how the quality of the mp3 is. The computer I use for internet access has a messed-up soundcard, so I can't tell corruption in the file from corruption in the sound card.

Thanks.

Drums sound very distant & thin.
Backing vox are louder than the vocals.
I think you'll have to re convert this - do it on your recording comp & then transfer it to the on line one.
There sounds to be a good song going on BUT...
Kind of like a suss live recording of The Fall or Wire with rock guitar stylings.

rayc,
Thanks for the thoughts.
The drums were recorded with one mike. The song is supposed to have a "raw", less-than-professional feel. I mixed the drums a bit louder than I normally would because I wanted those crash cymbals in the chorus to really dominate the sound.
Hmm, I thought the vocal balance was good. I'll reassess it, though. Both vocal parts are supposed to sound "in the background", the lead vocal being a bit "closer" to the hearer than the backup.
Thanks again for the advice.

I think the problems people are hearing with our stuff happens when they're uploaded to Purevolume. The files sound great as WAV's. Darned Purevolume!
So, yeah, the mp3 quality sucks.
Thanks for the replies.

The tune have some nice turns, but it needs more rehearsing.
and better tracking, and levels.
Its kinda mixed together, maybe tracked to hot.

The drums have little low end and very little middle tone.
the bass needs some tightening up eq and compressor wise, if not playing wise as well.

The guitars sound kinda cool.

The vox lines comes together very cool, they needs some proscessing though, and wee better tracking.

You`ve got some great ideas to play around with, good luck :)

"The tune have some nice turns, but it needs more rehearsing.
and better tracking, and levels."

I'm not sure what you mean by tracking.
The levels are right where I want them. On the chorus, the crash cymbal is supposed to be loud. The vocals are supposed to sound almost buried by the other instruments. This song is supposed to sound "raw", homemade, freaked-out.
I don't have a compressor to play thru for the bass. Also, I can't find anything in Acid or Screenblast to compress the volume of a file. If I could, I would compress the bass.
I got a chance to listen to our mp3's on a computer with a good soundcard, and yes, our mp3's all sound terrible. I guess I should stop asking for critiques of the Purevolume mp3's because they simply do not represent the original WAV files properly.
Thanks for the thoughts, criticism, advice, etc.

Back