Blue The Ball & Ball 8

alexthacowboy

any comments here, the ball is around 100 usd, and looks like a killer for electric guitar.

i need a complete set, was thinking in some shures sm57.

but i can get 3 blue balls so i can mike 3 toms, and then i can use 1 or 2 for guitar?

any idea or comments in this mikes, they (blue) said u can even use them in HH, and kick or as OH.

thanks.

i was thinking in the oktava's, but quallyty control is a concern, and this ones at 100 can be a nice deal.

this is from blue website, looks like the ball can be used like any dinamic mike, and the 8th ball as a condensor one.

Ok, so how do I use The Ball?
The Ball was designed for both stage and studio use. Because of its rugged construction, cardioid
pickup pattern and high-spl specification, you can use the ball anywhere you’d use a traditional
dynamic mic: kick drum, snare drum, tom toms, electric guitars, bass cabinets, vocals, and anywhere
else you need a rugged mic that sounds unlike anything you’ve ever heard before.

8-Ball suggested applications
The 8-Ball was designed for both stage and studio use. Because of its rugged construction, cardioid
pickup pattern and high-frequency extension, you can use The 8-Ball anywhere you’d use a traditional
condenser mic where clarity and high frequency detail is essential: snare drum, acoustic and
clean electric guitars, mandolin, banjo, drum overheads, hihats, strings, orchestral recording, and
male and female vocals.

alexthacowboy said:
any comments here
I don't like the blue ball... if you're on a tight budget, get a Shure SM57 for the snare (about $50 used)... ATM25 for the kick (about $80 used)... and two Oktava MC-012's for overheads (about $200 new).

don't believe the marketing hype. as much as i want to like the blue ball, because it looks cool and is a good idea in theory, it just sucks. it's dull and lifeless on guitar cabs, and hollow and boxy on kick drum. i can't think of a single thing it can do better than a standard dynamic such as an sm-57 or audix's i-5...

DJL said:
I don't like the blue ball... if you're on a tight budget, get a Shure SM57 for the snare (about $50 used)... ATM25 for the kick (about $80 used)... and two Oktava MC-012's for overheads (about $200 new).

I might be able to pick up an ATM25 cheap on ebay if you'd only stop recommending them :p

There's one up there now 'factory refurbished' I'm always wary of those.

paddyponchero said:
There's one up there now 'factory refurbished' I'm always wary of those.

My factory refurbished hard drive and monitor seem to be working fine. I don't see what's to worry about. I would assume that they just replace the capsule or fix and loose connections to refurbish them. I may be wrong though.

Great, cheap bass drum mic

If you want a really great sounding bass drum mic, but don't want to pay more than about $50, get the AKG D550. It's one of the best bass drum mics sounds I've ever heard, especially for the price. The mic is actually intended for bass instruments, like tuba, but the freq response is great (20 to 20). Only thing that's a pain about it is it's a European mic, so it's hard to get it onto a regular mic stand. I had to use tape to get it on a small boom stand. But, it sounds awesome on my 388. Hope that helps if you're looking for a bass drum mic.

-MD

themaddog said:
If you want a really great sounding bass drum mic, but don't want to pay more than about $50, get the AKG D550. It's one of the best bass drum mics sounds I've ever heard, especially for the price. The mic is actually intended for bass instruments, like tuba, but the freq response is great (20 to 20). Only thing that's a pain about it is it's a European mic, so it's hard to get it onto a regular mic stand. I had to use tape to get it on a small boom stand. But, it sounds awesome on my 388. Hope that helps if you're looking for a bass drum mic.

-MD

$50 :eek: where can you get them at that price ?

I just checked myself... I got mine on clearance from Guitar Center last Spring. I figured that was the typical price, I think I paid $45. I checked eBay, where they sell for about $60. But, at close to that price Shure has their cheaper line of bass drum mics. Not sure which is better.

-MD

I think the Ball is a nice color mic. If you get a good one (I've gotten a good one and a bad one) I think it's great on amps. Either way, I'd make sure and get a more versatile mic before you got the Ball. I don't like the SM57 much myself, but if you can get a used SM7 for around $200 you'll be sitting pretty.

As far as the 8 ball goes, I don't know anything about it.

cominginsecond said:
I think the Ball is a nice color mic. If you get a good one (I've gotten a good one and a bad one) I think it's great on amps.

out of curiousity, what made the good one better than the bad one? maybe mine is just a reject.. it sure sounds dull... no high end..

OneArmedScissor said:
Too bad no one knows anything about those 8 balls yet. I'd sure like to know how they work for drum overheads.

From my limited experience playing with one, I gotta' be honest: This thing was really bright and harsh-sounding to me. I was really disappointed, and would never put one anywhere near a cymbal.

chessrock said:
From my limited experience playing with one, I gotta' be honest: This thing was really bright and harsh-sounding to me. I was really disappointed, and would never put one anywhere near a cymbal.

Haha, OK, thanks. I wasn't expecting it to do so hot, anyways.

Back