Blue Encore 100 Recording/Live Mic

Well I have one of the first ones that came out and I seemed to be having trouble live with it. One live sound engineer said he was getting little to no output from it, but he might have just been a few crayons short...

I have read some reviews of people claiming to have used it for recording as well, and I was wondering if anyone here had tried. I just did tonight (for lack of another dynamic) I used it to mic a hihat. The sound was good, but again... I'd like to hear from someone else's opinion.

The 100 is Blue's cheapest microphone that they produce and not to say that the 100 is bad but if you are to record it just seems to me that you would want to use something a bit better.

Have you witnessed a failure with your microphone or just that one time with that live sound guy?

Sounds like the sound guy was having a few problems and was blaming it on the mic. I get this in the studio all the time, people thinking the mics broken, when it's more likely to be a lead, dodgy connection or someone's got the volume down :).

As for using the mic, if it sounds good when you use it continue. I love using an SM57 on the hats, which the 100 will probably be similar to.

Cool. Yes I also am a fan of the 57's, just was short one the other day. hihat came out with a nice crisp sound :) I think I will put this mic in the reserve for recording rather than use it live again on vocals. I am mixing the drums as we speak... if there is an easy way to upload a song to this forum I would be more than happy to show you the outcome :-)

Back