Blinded needs mix feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister M

Musician and School Teach
This is my first attempt at a collaboration like this. After playing with some of the same guys for the last 15+ years, I thought it would be nice to NOT play with them on something-so I enlisted help from others and recorded this song.

I played acoustic guitar and did most of the vocals and then farmed the rest out-convinced some musician friends from around the continent into recording different parts.

The first mix is up and it would enjoy some feedback.

Pretty good! I felt like I wanted to hear the chorus "explode" more. That's probably not the best adjective to describe it, but I guess I wanted it to be stronger mix-wise. The chorus was a little bit messy, so tightening up some of the tracks (even if that means re-recording them) would probably help. You could also push the rhythm guitars a little more to give it a stronger feel.

I also noticed the drums drift slightly out-of-time in the intro. What DAW are you working in? Could you FlexTime that?

Really great for a first mix! Good job!

I like your singing voice.

The first thing that struck me were the busy drums. They attract too much attention and they seem to throw off the other instruments - setting up a "stutter step" every so often.

The distorted guitar in the chorus has a bit too much gain on it. It's kind of a wash of fuzz.

I didn't care for the acoustic guitar sound. It was a good part, but it had that buzzy DI'd sound to it.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

I've heard a couple comments on another forum about the chorus needing more oomph...something I'll definitely tweak.

Sadly, I don't have Flex-time -I know the part of the intro to which you are referring-was hoping it was all in my head-I've contemplated taking the drums out until the vocal starts to "cover" the problem-because of how this song was put together, getting the drummer back isn't really feasible.

I'll fiddle with the other guitar tracks-especially the acoustic.

Thanks again. The feedback is appreciated.

-Curtis

Song's good but the performance and mix don't do it justice IMHO.
Timing is all over the place, drums sound terrible and somehow mix-wise it doesn't gel together, it sounds really loose. I believe you have the talent to record it properly.

Sadly, I don't have Flex-time -I know the part of the intro to which you are referring-was hoping it was all in my head-I've contemplated taking the drums out until the vocal starts to "cover" the problem-because of how this song was put together, getting the drummer back isn't really feasible.

I think the drums in the beginning are a nice touch and deserve to stay - do you know anybody that might be able to help you pull them into time?

I'm just gonna ditto Triple M comments, he's got it right mix-wise. The drums are horribly in and out of time. I think the drum sounds are pretty good though. There are doable ways to get them into time - check your DAW and some forums for it. I liked this song, it is worth saving (even if you use a drum machine). This is much better than that other one I critiqued for you "follow", I think you recorded it for someone else. All the performance should be re-tracked when the drums are fixed or replaced.
Good luck :D

Song's good but the performance and mix don't do it justice IMHO.
Timing is all over the place, drums sound terrible and somehow mix-wise it doesn't gel together, it sounds really loose. I believe you have the talent to record it properly.

I have to agree with joeym. I think it sounds like a bunch of people that got together and played this for the first time. IMO, I think you really need to tighten the performance up before you worry about recording.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

My plan is to do some tweaking and re-dos this weekend...foremost on my mind is the drums issue.

Appreciate the comments.

-Curtis

There appears to be some timing issues here. Are you using a click track? Otherwise the snare is a bit harsh for me. Not a bad song but the recording is not enhancing it.

My ear can't get past the drums, like others have said, they're just in and out of time so badly. The busy groove during the quieter parts makes it especially apparent.

going to retire this thread until the remix and repairs are done...thanks for all the comments. I appreciate the feedback.

-C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back