Blatty Deluxe Reverb

ggunn

Crystal Flavolian
Hey, guys. I have a '65 BF Deluxe Reverb that sounds really sweet, mostly. Lately (I don't know how lately; I have just started noticing it) it's been going sort of "blattt" when I play the low E string on my guitar a bit hard. It happens on either channel, and my Strat and Les Paul both do it. Any idea what it might be? I am fairly familiar with tube amp circuits and I know how to work on one without killing myself.

depending on this statement:
Lately (I don't know how lately; I have just started noticing it)
i would suggest that it could be signs of worn or failing output tubes, or even something else like a filter capacitor. does it get worse the longer the amp has been on or the hotter the amp gets? or is it always there, even when you first flip it on?

depending on this statement:

i would suggest that it could be signs of worn or failing output tubes, or even something else like a filter capacitor. does it get worse the longer the amp has been on or the hotter the amp gets? or is it always there, even when you first flip it on?

I'm pretty sure it's constantly there. I notice it mostly when I whack my low E string open and by itself. If it were a filter cap, I'd expect it to be 60Hz humming, but it's not. The next time I power it up, I'll check and see if it blats immediately.

You might check for a loose speaker-the nuts may have loosened over time. Kind of sounds like it needs the low end to make the blattt sound...

Try cleaning and re-tensioning the sockets. Squirt some pot cleaner on the pins and insert the tubes, wiggling it a bit in a circular motion. In a dark room make it act up while you look at the tubes for arcing. If you see fireworks in the power tubes, replace them and have the bias set. Biasing is critical in deluxe amps. They run at very high voltages with the 6v6's. If not biased correctly, it'll smoke the tubes.

I vote for a failing speaker...still works but blats out on lo notes...yup...classic.

chazba

Nope. It sounds the same through a 4X12 cab. Thanks for all the replies, but the amp is now in the capable hands of an excellent amp guy (Chuck @ Guitar Resurrection here in Austin).

I'm gonna take a guess at this....

Either a gassy output tube

or....

A winding that's breaking down in the output transformer

gassy tube... not likely... they turn grey and just dont work pretty quickly...

now... an imbalance in the output tranny is possible??? hmmmn... if that were true one tube would be working harder than the other.... but would that translate into a blatty bottom end???

stay tuned in folks... next week... same bat time... same bat channel...

Back