Black Winged Doves (Audition Demo)

rockexotic

This is a midi composition I created as a pre-production demo.
No vocals, just ideas for instrumentation.
Would like to bring the ideas to more satisfying fruition with a real instruments.

Last edited:
They say that if you don't get the vocals (and even a first hook) in by 29 seconds, you've lost the listener, they're already tuning you out. The acoustic guitar sound is captured well, I don't care for the drum machine snare-clap sound. When it starts again around 2:00 I was thinking - 'come on, get to it!' and then again at 2:36 I was ready to 'switch stations', but kept waiting for the vocals - then I re-read your note and realize that you meant this one had no vocals.

This sounds 100% midi. I think I have that acoustic guit soundfont.... somewhere :)
Anyway, nice arrangement.

I clicked on your tune while doing something else and wasn't really paying attention at the beginning and I thought I was listening to a real guitar strumming, but then everything else kicked in and quickly realized it was all midi. I am not trying to slam your music, but it does sound really fake. The arrangement is excellent, just not so great sounds.

Leave it to the newbie to post a midi composition in the Audio recording/Mix mix thread.
Thanks for the feedback as it confirms to what degree it comes across as "virtual".
Nevertheless, my own choice of notes.

Thank you again for your feedback. I've since edited my description.

Last edited:
They say that if you don't get the vocals (and even a first hook) in by 29 seconds, you've lost the listener, they're already tuning you out.

I hate they for saying that. I don't think it is (always or necessarily) true.

---------- Update ----------

I'd love to hear the song with the vocalist on it.

After reading I assumed there'd be a melody idea in this as well.
Ideas are fine, midi is midi. Do you have words for it as well?

Hi rayc,

The music provides the general harmony & leading but also leaves space for the singer to embellish.
Working on a share of the lyrics.

There is one line in particular that resounds throughout:

We fly below
the love above
The taint in beauty
Black Winged Doves~

FoulPhil, I agree with your comment! What's wrong with music today is unapologetic jerks like you with no appreciation or constructive critical ability. It's of no use attacking the existing reality. To change something, create a new model that makes the current reality obsolete.
I, for one, really enjoyed the composition. The execution is a bit robotic, but I'd like permission or blessing to attempt a more natural instrument rendition/cover.
Is good idea?

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback Michael.
You said it best in that there is understandably more of a predilection for a NATURAL performance.
Couldn't agree more.
The inference I made from the aforementioned comment is that it's computerized; lacking the feel & dynamics of real players.
But that's an assumption.

I don't give this piece any more than a 7 out of 10 because of the fact that it lacks real players/instruments, does not yet have a vocal & is an amateur mix (that includes the one dimensional tones).

The band rendition is yet for the appointed time.
For now, I'm using midi to convey an idea until I get myself into the rehearsal circle of a full band.
And that's the reality check for me.

Thanks guys for contributing to the pre-production phase!
I'll keep working on a fuller & more authentic version of this piece.

Last edited:
Hey, midi gets a bad wrap in here. I don't so much care about how any sound was created or whether it was programmed myself ( that was kind of harsh Phil :)) as long as it sounds cool to me. We try to help people with mixes in here, so if the sounds come across as robotic or fake, that can be seen as an obstacle to getting a good mix and gets pointed out, but your purpose with this is not as a finished product it seems, so we put that aside for now and just listen...

I think the mix sounds fine and I don't hear anything wrong with the levels or anything. I just don't personally care for the tones so much. I think it definitely gets the point across as a demo, and I commend you for having the patience and ability to program everything note by note as I could never do that.

I'd like permission or blessing to attempt a more natural instrument rendition/cover.
Is good idea?

Hi Michael,
Feel free to learn the actual guitar part as it is very enjoyable to play.
The dynamics and strums are much better when I play the original piece on guitar.

The whole reason I adapted the song to midi is because all I have right now is an electric with intonation issues.
So I'm sacrificing realism just hear the chords in tune!

There is one segment that I composed in the midi editor that doesn't work on the fretboard and vice versa.
That's because I was hearing some new ideas as I was composing in the midi editor.

If it inspires you to pick up your own guitar (or other instrument) then by all means, enjoy!
I'm glad you asked.
Just please remember this is pre-production of my own forthcoming material:)

If you come up with something based on it I'm glad to be part of that.

Last edited:
We try to help people with mixes in here, so if the sounds come across as robotic or fake, that can be seen as an obstacle to getting a good mix and gets pointed out, but your purpose with this is not as a finished product it seems, so we put that aside for now and just listen...

I think the mix sounds fine and I don't hear anything wrong with the levels or anything. I just don't personally care for the tones so much. I think it definitely gets the point across as a demo, and I commend you for having the patience and ability to program everything note by note as I could never do that.

Knowing that the experiment does in fact come across as virtual & robotic and also the suggestion to try some different tones, is highly valued feedback. It's also nice to know that there aren't any major discrepancies in level.
Moreover, that it can work as a demo and make it through some full listens;)

It'll be fine for the private circle but I do well not to publicize it.

Mix-wise, I will have to employ some high pass filtering if I use some of the more "fuller" upgraded sounds & instruments together.
The stock sounds I chose just seemed to fit without using any eq.
Although, I don't like the metallic pitch-shifty part as it muddles up the mix a bit and contributes even more to the Mr. Roboto vibe.

Thank you guys.

Last edited:
FoulPhil, I agree with your comment! What's wrong with music today is unapologetic jerks like you with no appreciation or constructive critical ability. It's of no use attacking the existing reality. To change something, create a new model that makes the current reality obsolete.
I, for one, really enjoyed the composition. The execution is a bit robotic, but I'd like permission or blessing to attempt a more natural instrument rendition/cover.
Is good idea?

You can try to rationalize it all you want, but it is godawful. I'm not trying to be a dick here. I'm simply telling you straightforwardly that it's complete shit. Absolutely horrible. No way in hell would I listen to this because it's "cool sounding". It's not cool sounding. I'm not bashing midi either. You asked for an opinion and I'm giving you one. You're wasting people time playing this fruity loops track in here. It's insulting :thumbs up:

Opinion is exactly what it is. One person's trash is another's treasure. No need for name calling when you don't get an opinion you like...

It's cool guys.
Just know that the comment you are responding to is from another forum member.
I've taken no offense nor have reflected that in any of my responses.
I've garnered enough feedback from a few sources to make an executive decision:
I'm going to keep the ideas that were written on actual guitar and save them for a band/studio effort.
As regards my midi efforts, they will serve as pre-production demos on a private level.

Thank you for your time & comments.

Last edited:
Back