Black? Vintage 30's

Outlaws

Has anyone ever seen Vintage 30's that are black? Every image I have ever seen seems to be silver colored. A guy says they came out of an Ampeg if I recall. For various reasons I have no reason to doubt the guy, but that is still my nature.

I will post pictures in a minute.

Last edited:
They are more rare but Celestion did make some speakers with black frames. I think it was back in the 90's.

Yes, those are real. I had an old marshall cabinet loaded with a pair, and as ocnor said, it was in the early 90s.

Thanks. I didn't realize it was that old since it doesn't have "made in England" anywhere like my Greenbacks did.

Just loaded it into a an empty 1x12 Krank cab I picked up cheap. Made a cork gasket and front loaded it. Now I just got to dig my amp out of storage and try it out. :D

Is the cabinet open or closed back?

Closed. Its just a Rev Jr. cab I got cheap on craigslist. I could leave the back off but I want the punch rather than the openness.

The stock speaker was front loaded from the looks of it (the tee nuts are on the inside). I have read as much as I can stand about front and back loading...and outside of a super thick baffle causing a large interior volume change, I can't see it making a difference sound wise. The baffle looked about 3/4" or 5/8". When you take the total area it is still a decent amount of added/subtracted volume by either loading, but I haven't heard it either way yet so who knows. But again, it was front the factory...

Back