Black Sabbath Warpigs cover mix critique

packrobottom

Been working on this for awhile now played everything but drums. Mix feels pretty decent appreciate any critique.

I decided to do the song in EB. I used a UAD twinx for interface and UAD plugins with a u87 for vocals. Room sound is uad oceanway. Vocals have emt 140 plate and echoboy. No outboard gear was used. SM57 on guitars. Pbass direct with uad ampeg plugin. The siren is from kyiv thought it was fitting. Feel like I finally got good guitar tones
Turning amp up until my ears bled was 90 percent of it. On some parts I tuned the guitar E down until it was floppy and super low to accent the changes to E like in the outro if you listen you can hear it.

Last edited:
Sounds good to me too! Vocals sound good to me too. I didn't notice any "not as good" parts... it's probably just you who hears any difference (assuming you're the performer) however if you do decide to re-do it... be very careful it doesn't completely change the sound/etc... as it's hard to get vocals recorded at a different time to sound right with a pre-existing performance.

Whenever noise control came around to shut down our jams it was always during War Pigs. Your guitar tones are spot on. As are the vocals. Whats a few bleeding ears between friends? Did you tune down to Eb? All the performances are great. How did you do the drums? Really good version, good clarity on the mix,well done.

Man, killer!!!! Guitars and Bass sound fantastic! Really everything does, haven't rocked out to this old chestnut like this in a long time...really rocks and the modern powerful mix sounds awesome!

Thanks guys.
This is really good. What amp/amps are you playing?
Les Paul custom in to a Friedman Runt 50

there is a lot of guitar tracks especially during verse and descending powerchord part. Everything is at least doubled. Some parts are 4 or more Stabs during verse etc.

Been working on this for awhile now played everything but drums. Mix feels pretty decent appreciate any critique.

I decided to do the song in EB. I used a UAD twinx for interface and UAD plugins with a u87 for vocals. Room sound is uad oceanway. Vocals have emt 140 plate and echoboy. No outboard gear was used. SM57 on guitars. Pbass direct with uad ampeg plugin. The siren is from kyiv thought it was fitting. Feel like I finally got good guitar tones
Turning amp up until my ears bled was 90 percent of it. On some parts I tuned the guitar E down until it was floppy and super low to accent the changes to E like in the outro if you listen you can hear it.

It sounds like a good mix - there are some rhythm mistakes - for example the first guitar hit is abbreviated - but you've got the general feel of the song - how were the drums recorded?

Thx dobro
I think your right just listented this morning after a break from the mix bass isn't loud enough

Last edited:
I want to hear this but do not have dropbox... any chance you might have it shared some other way by now? Soundcloud, Youtube, ...?

You put a lot of work into that, I think it sounds great. A little bit more bass would be good, but seriously, it is great.

Back