Black Metal work in progress

OzNimbus

Here's two clips, sort of a yin & yang thing, from a Black Metal project I'm working on. These are very much "work in progress" but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Here goes:

"The Sun was in my Eyes, part 1"

"Shedding the Deadwood"

Thanks!

-0z-

The first clip sounds a lot like Opeth, which is a good thing. The drums sound great in both clips, are they tracked or samples? What stood out particularly is the bass drum, it sounds really good. I think the vocals in the verse could use more reverb. The second clip sounds a lot like Dimmu Borgir, which is also a good thing. I think that you could get away with making both clips much louder. If you compare them to bands like Opeth and Dimmu Borgir, you'll notice how much louder they are. Just an suggestion from an amateur :D

Very good performance by the band and a great job on the recording! :) Keep it up!

Hey oz
This is great! Don't know if I'd call the second track BM, though ;) Kind of gothic.
I think the overheads are a bit too low / dry, the cymbals disappear too quickly. Also, even though it sounds good, the kick is a bit too high in my opinion, especially in the second track. It doesn't sound quite finished yet, but then again, you said it wasn't :) The guitars sound really good to me, but they really stand out in "...deadwood".

Great job - love the use of acoustic guitar, too.

FattMusiek said:
The first clip sounds a lot like Opeth, which is a good thing. The drums sound great in both clips, are they tracked or samples? What stood out particularly is the bass drum, it sounds really good. I think the vocals in the verse could use more reverb. The second clip sounds a lot like Dimmu Borgir, which is also a good thing. I think that you could get away with making both clips much louder. If you compare them to bands like Opeth and Dimmu Borgir, you'll notice how much louder they are. Just an suggestion from an amateur :D

Very good performance by the band and a great job on the recording! :) Keep it up!

Thanks for the comments. The drums were tracked on a real kit, however the kick drum is a sample. I use drumagog for drum replacement, and unfortunately, I don't like the included samples very much. What you're hearing is a home-made, 24 layer sample of my own kick drum.

As for the loudness factor, I get what you're talking about. The two clips are runoff mixes, with no mastering/limiting whatsoever. The final product will be beefed up a bit, but not to crushing levels. I like to use Slayer's "Seasons in the Abyss" (original master) as a watermark for CD levels.

ragata said:
Hey oz
This is great! Don't know if I'd call the second track BM, though ;) Kind of gothic.
I think the overheads are a bit too low / dry, the cymbals disappear too quickly. Also, even though it sounds good, the kick is a bit too high in my opinion, especially in the second track. It doesn't sound quite finished yet, but then again, you said it wasn't :) The guitars sound really good to me, but they really stand out in "...deadwood".

Great job - love the use of acoustic guitar, too.

Thanks for the comments.

You've got a great point about the cymbals. Unfortunatley, the drummer is very hi-hat heavy, and light on the crashes. I'll have to address the issue, and see what I can do. I always appreciate a second set of ears!

BTW, thanks for the guitar comments! You wouldn't believe how hard I worked to get that tone!

One last thing, if anyone is interested, there's a huge thread about the making of this record. Lots of pics & comments from the band & fans. You can check it out at:
http://www.smnnews.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=3132

Thanks again!

-0z-

you utter, utter bastard! :mad: ;)
I cannot stop listening to the "deadwood" clip, even though this is usually not my cup (more into crust and hardcore usually). The album should be a success no doubt.

d/l'ed the "deadwood". Loving it! Kinda puts me in mind of Novembre, and something else I can't quite put my finger on...

Where have I heard the name "Woods of Ypres" before? CD baby?

I'd love to hear the whole song, can you/will you post a link? This is something I would definitely buy.

Katatonia "Brave Murder Day"? (lyrics seem to me reminiscent of, you wouldn't per chance be a fan?)

Wow, I'm glad I found this!

Back