bizar bad sound recording with aiso driver setting

guitarholland

hi, I hope anybody knows what I'm talking about.

I want to record electric guitar on my laptop using a roland duo capture interface in combination with cakewalk sonar x1 le software.
My laptop runs on vista. Its has a 2.1 Ghz cpu, 4 GB ram and plenty free disk space witch i've defragmented.

I can't set up my system so I can record good quality without dropouts. I already increased buffer sizes and changed around with driver settings and sample rates. Now the best I get is when using driver setting MME 32-bit with a low sample rate. Then I can record without much dropouts, but the sound is not very good. I have read that using AISO as driver setting is better for recording. Now I tried this and it seemed to be going well, without engine stops and not much dropouts, but when I listen to the sound I've recorded it sounds bizar. Sort of like the guitarsound comes through windpipes with the sound of a thunderstorm on the background.

Does anybody knows how to get my system configured so to make good quality recording without dropouts possible??

Any suggestions are welcome!

asio is what you want to use for low latency.

But dropouts can be caused by a lot of problems.

The most common is that your drive may not be keeping up with the project.
Data overflows the buffers and when it can't keep up writing to the disk it just trashes it.
The smooth free flow of data is the key.

Are you recording to the boot drive?*
Are your drives 7200rpm?
Do you have a lot of free empty disk space?
Do you keep it defragmented?

*best setup for any daw:
os, apps and plugins on boot drive
sample libraries (if used) on a second independent drive
projects and audio tracks on a third independent drive

Could be so many things but make sure you use the drivers for your Roland and not the asio4all. Make sure they are up to date. Try rebooting the Roland or unplugging the usb and pluggin back in.
I went through 3 audio interfaces before settling on one. Each had their own challenges. One was drop outs, With the Steinberg UR22. I could not resolve so I returned it.

I use a Focusrite 6i6 now with no issues with the same laptop and OS.

It's also best to to rolands forum and post your issues there.

thanks for the replies.

I use the boot drive and it has enough space, but it is a 5400 rpm drive..
I will install the duo capture drivers from roland. I will be back to inform if it helped or not.

thanks for the replies.

I use the boot drive and it has enough space, but it is a 5400 rpm drive..
I will install the duo capture drivers from roland. I will be back to inform if it helped or not.

If I understand this correctly, it's not so much about having enough space as it is having a drive that doesn't have to process OS-related information at the same time as audio processing.

If I understand this correctly, it's not so much about having enough space as it is having a drive that doesn't have to process OS-related information at the same time as audio processing.

Exactly. Your operating system is doing many many other things while you are recording (take a look at your Services list sometime)
and each one of those takes attention away from the task of streaming audio data to and from the buffers and disk.

A slow drive having to scramble to keep up eventually just flushes data away and you get dropouts in the stream.

On daws you want fast clean multiple drives to keep the digits flying to where they need to go.

(Those of us who started with sub<1Ghz machines knew how you had to struggle to get any kind of recording performance at all.)

I currently record on a laptop with a 5400rpm drive and everything is on the one drive.

So far I've had up to 10 processed tracks with out any issues. Milage varies with different equipment but he should have no problems recording 1 track on a 5400rpm drive provided the rest of the specs are decent.

Anyone use a SSD (solid state drive) for recording? I use one for gaming and it should work very well...

Sure I have one that runs my OS and DAW software, I choose it for that because the read speed was very high. The write speed was only a touch better than a WD 7200 rpm disk, so I use those for my audio and VST data.

hi, I've installed the roland drivers for duo capture and now it works fine,without the weird sound and dropouts. Guess the original aiso drivers didnt work well with the duo capture.
Problem solved, thanks for the tips!

Back