bitchpants

Cool tune man. Has a nice, dirty sound to it. How do you record/mix? Sounds like the volume on the entire mix can come up some. Something to give the whole mix more punch, without really changing much. Drums and vox just seem to be hidden a little. Do you have a limiter, or a multiband compressor?

Anyways, cool tune man. I like the changes you put in it. The shift right before the solo is way cool. Nice drudgy feel. Has a COC vibe there.
I think it's pretty damn sweet.
Ed

Cool riffin, very eavy`. :cool:

I like the tune.

I think the guitars could use some more punch in the middle, it sounds a bit wavey, its like the the beats sinks down in a well :confused: I`m doing a bad job describing, sorry.

Maybe some compression would help, you`ve got a cool tune here.

I really loved the intro riff, and the verse was cool as well I think I`d try some more tricky stuff on the beats on the solo, do some more fills or something, just to make it perfect, and follow up on the great stuff the rawked before it, the solo that is.

Btw, the vox are a little dry to me, maybe add some fluid :)

Anyway this is all suggestions, thanks for sharing, I sure hope you work some more on this because you`ve got a good thing going here.

peace,,,naka :)

Dogman said:
Cool tune man. Has a nice, dirty sound to it. How do you record/mix? Sounds like the volume on the entire mix can come up some. Something to give the whole mix more punch, without really changing much. Drums and vox just seem to be hidden a little. Do you have a limiter, or a multiband compressor?

Anyways, cool tune man. I like the changes you put in it. The shift right before the solo is way cool. Nice drudgy feel. Has a COC vibe there.
I think it's pretty damn sweet.
Ed

Thanks Dog!!

I record to pc using an ADAT as a digital converter and mix analog to a Studiomaster 16 channel analog mixer back to the pc. I use Samplitude software which has multiband compression, which wasn't applied to this mix, but I'll probably try it this weekend (I'm a little gun shy about using compression).

I'm going to put the final touches to it this weekend based on most of the comments I get, the main being that the drums and bass need to come out more. I comped the vocals, so I'm going to play around with the other vocal takes that didn't make the cut and see how a doubled vocal will sound. I think a lot of people want to hear that effect because the song is so Sabbath-like, and Ozzy was almost always doubled. I may even smack the doubled vox with heavy compression and shit to see what it does.

Nakatira said:
Cool riffin, very eavy`. :cool:

I like the tune.

I think the guitars could use some more punch in the middle, it sounds a bit wavey, its like the the beats sinks down in a well :confused: I`m doing a bad job describing, sorry.

Maybe some compression would help, you`ve got a cool tune here.

I really loved the intro riff, and the verse was cool as well I think I`d try some more tricky stuff on the beats on the solo, do some more fills or something, just to make it perfect, and follow up on the great stuff the rawked before it, the solo that is.

Btw, the vox are a little dry to me, maybe add some fluid :)

Anyway this is all suggestions, thanks for sharing, I sure hope you work some more on this because you`ve got a good thing going here.

peace,,,naka :)

Thanks Naka (for the listen and for the rep :) )! I'm hoping that pushing the drums up more will bring out the fills going on during the solo, which may help things. And although there is reverb on the vox, I may increase that along with double tracked vocals.

I won't be doing any additional tracking though. This is the first in a series of songs where turnaround from writing to recording is purposely done quickly: this was put together in three weeks. I discovered that my stuff comes out much better when I'm still inspired to do it. I want to cut this one loose by the end of this weekend, so I can start tracking the next song.

Cyrokk said:
Thanks Dog!!

I record to pc using an ADAT as a digital converter and mix analog to a Studiomaster 16 channel analog mixer back to the pc. I use Samplitude software which has multiband compression, which wasn't applied to this mix, but I'll probably try it this weekend (I'm a little gun shy about using compression).

I'm going to put the final touches to it this weekend based on most of the comments I get, the main being that the drums and bass need to come out more. I comped the vocals, so I'm going to play around with the other vocal takes that didn't make the cut and see how a doubled vocal will sound. I think a lot of people want to hear that effect because the song is so Sabbath-like, and Ozzy was almost always doubled. I may even smack the doubled vox with heavy compression and shit to see what it does.

Yeah, for sure, you want to be careful. It sounds like things were tracked well, and mixed pretty even, so you don't want to mess that up. If you can just give it a bit more punch, and even volume, without killing the dynamics, then you got it.

Yep, the tracks in this are keepers...

Reading through the posts as I listen, and hear where they're coming from....

Good heavy tune, great guitars (rhythm and lead) and cool vocal style, fits this style well....

Looking forward to hearing the remix when you get it done...vocals sound like they'll be really cool with the doubling..... :D

Nice heavy guitars.
The vox are jut a little too low for me.
The cymbal just sounds hissy & gets annoying on my speakers.
The solo is nice.
Good work keep mixing.

Thanks to everyone for all the mix comments! This is the final mix (click the sig), in which I did the following:

Raised the crash (sorry rayc :) ), snare and kick
Raised the bass
Doubled the vocals, compressing the living shit out of both.

Back