Bit rate if using only a softsynth?

jamtheguitarman

Say i am writing a piece in my host using only one softsynth VST, does the softsynth control the bit rate of the output audio material its sending to the host and therefore render my hosts bit rate inconsequential?

Or does it still depend on what my hosts bit rate is set at?

Cheers

As far as I know, any synth generates the sounds at whatever bit depth and sample rate the host is telling it to. Some may not support certain sample rates or bit depths, but if it doesn't it will usually crash, or give an error.

What softsynth is it? It should say what it supports.

As far as I know, any synth generates the sounds at whatever bit depth and sample rate the host is telling it to. Some may not support certain sample rates or bit depths, but if it doesn't it will usually crash, or give an error.

What softsynth is it? It should say what it supports.

Mainly Reaktor 5.

I cant seem to find any mention of bit depth (youve reminded me its depth. not rate :) ). You can change the sample rate though.

Mainly Reaktor 5.

I cant seem to find any mention of bit depth (youve reminded me its depth. not rate :) ). You can change the sample rate though.

I can't seem to find any mention of supported sample rates or bit depths on the website. If it had a limit it would probably say something to the effect of "Sample rates up to 96KHz", etc. The bit-depth should be at least 32-bit capable, as is most software, but is most likely 64-bit.

It also says Reaktor comes with samples too. Samples are different, they each have their own sample rate/bit-depth, but they are probably upsampled or downsampled and dithered on-the-fly if they don't match your host's settings.

If Reaktor has an option for sample rate, then that's a little confusing. Either way, you should have it set to whatever sample rate your project is in.

I can't seem to find any mention of supported sample rates or bit depths on the website. If it had a limit it would probably say something to the effect of "Sample rates up to 96KHz", etc. The bit-depth should be at least 32-bit capable, as is most software, but is most likely 64-bit.

It also says Reaktor comes with samples too. Samples are different, they each have their own sample rate/bit-depth, but they are probably upsampled or downsampled and dithered on-the-fly if they don't match your host's settings.

If Reaktor has an option for sample rate, then that's a little confusing. Either way, you should have it set to whatever sample rate your project is in.

Yeah, sample rate goes up to 176400hz :D and just zero mention of bit depth in the manual, program, that i can see anyway.

That would indicate to me that it doesn't matter, but i dont really understand that, if anyone would care to explain?

Back