bit of a prob. advice?

NationalSandwic

hi there.
you probably get this all the time :)

when I try to sing close to the mike, the recording sounds nasal and bass - biased.
sometimes I sing softly and need to get in close to get volume.

what is the solution to getting a CRISP sound?

thanks

?

a pop-screen?
not sure what that is ?=\

is it useful to compress AFTER recording? in cooledit or cakewalk, there are compressors that you can run over recorded sound.

(i have this premonition that the answer is no. :))

thanks

Re: ?

NationalSandwic said:
a pop-screen?
not sure what that is ?=\

is it useful to compress AFTER recording? in cooledit or cakewalk, there are compressors that you can run over recorded sound.

(i have this premonition that the answer is no. :))
A pop screen is a small hoop of thin material (like nylon stockings) that goes in between the mic and the singer to eliminate popping from air blasts on words that start with p, b, and f.

If the singer is uneven in level, it's sometimes helpful to even it out with some compression when recording, and even after it's on tape, you may still find you need more compression on the vocal to make it sit right in the track.

plosives

i've learnt a technique that reduces the amount of air coming out of the mouth with plosive syllables, but I'll get hold of (or make!) a screen. thanks. it also keeps everyone elses gob off the mic!

there is another technique that I don't quite understand, where the vocalist "eats" the mic.... gets REALLY close up. surely that would distort or negatively affect sound?

thanks again.

eating is used for dynamic mics, especially live where you don't want any kind of feedback, so you make the singer eat the mike, meaning that you don't have to turn the volume way up

Re: plosives

NationalSandwic said:
there is another technique that I don't quite understand, where the vocalist "eats" the mic.... gets
That's what happens when you forget to feed your singer....

Bruce

Back